Intro from NC, What year do I want to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Cool Intro from NC, EDIT: Bought my first XJ

Hi guys,

I'm new here, 38 years old and have always wanted an XJ.

I'm looking for a reliable all-weather, pre-OBDII commuter that can haul two child seats.

Last night, my wife gave me the green light to replace my old daily driver sedan with an XJ, because she wanted a "dark blue '96" more than anything when she was in high school. Of course, I believe I'll be looking at 95-and-earlier cars, as I'm fed up with NC's inspection laws failing cars for CELs. (but feel free to correct me on what years I should be looking at...)

Can someone direct me to the best forum links for "new to XJs" or "looking for XJs", buyers guides, "noobs look here first" etc.?

I looked around General Chat and didn't see any stickies.

Also, if you were shopping for a reliable commuter, what year would you buy, and why?

Thanks in advance.

--Jay

Edit: Bought one!!!!

Saved it from who knows what:

Last edited by J308; 01-25-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6 OHV

Hey, welcome to the forum! Personally I would think the 1995 is the best out of the pre- 97's just because it was the newest Cherokee without OBD II. Although I feel if you are just purchasing it in 2012 you might be better off with the 97+ Style Meaning like a 99 because 98 had a funny transmission that's just as reliable but for some reason you can only replace it with a trans from a 98' even though there the same as all other years(I have a 98). I would avoid 97's because some of the first built had horrible kinks but that is probably only 15% or less, but you never know which you would get and avoid 00-01's because of the infamous head cracking issue and some people just don't like the distributor less system. I feel like the newer style would be better just because of the newer creature comforts(CUPHOLDERS LOL) I dont know what year your sedan is but think about it because even a 95' is 17 years old. Cherokees are bullitt proof but also alot can happen in 17+ Years. Like i said XJ's are great trucks but maybe consider a newer one unless either money is extremely tight(but if $ is tight, purchasing an older car may not be the best move because of future repairs) or your wife is a die hard XJ Fan and she only wants a pre 97'. Im not trying to tell you what to get as its your life, your wallet, and your truck but just trying to help you out so that you dont feel like when you get your XJ that its not as advanced as you were hoping, Whatever you decide best of luck and welcome to CF, Rob

EDIT: Rereading your post I missed that it HAD to be pre OBD II, IF it is then you would definitely prefer a 95 because 95 and 96 got an updated interior, plus i think that the Pre 95 didn't even have a driver airbag, and i'm not to sure how much your wife is concerned with safety or how much you are. Good Luck and Happy Shopping, Rob

Last edited by scruffythewild; 01-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Cool man, thanks for the input.

Interesting to know about the updated interior for '95... I did not know that.

To address some of your points:
Budget is crazy low... probably less than $2500, because that is around the value of my current DD, a MKIV Jetta. I doubt I'd be able to get an OBDII car within this budget, and I'd prefer the OBD1 for inspection reasons.

I don't mind old cars, because I'll be doing the work myself on it so I prefer simpler mechanics. Although I will have to figure out the cupholder situation. My "fun car" is 22 years old, so no big deal there. Air bag is not a concern.

As long as there is nothing to specifically look out for on '89-'95's, I'll buy the best one that I can afford within my budget. Obviously I'd like the new interior of the '95, but I won't let that hold me back on a good example of the other years.

Thanks for answering, it was definitely helpful.

Considering my low budget, I'd imagine that it'll be high mileage, probably over 140k, so anything to look out for beside rust and 4wd not working properly?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Hey Jay, Welcome to CF.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks all.

Updated the OP to show the pictures of my N-used XJ. It's a '94.

Plans include:
fix passenger manual window regulator.
fix the door locks, the key turns 1/4 to the right, sounds like scraping, doesn't lock.
fix the stop-and-go run-hot. likely fan clutch, probably go with the NAPA.
fix the heater blower. Fan doesn't work in any mode.
replacing cracked windhshield.
some new 15's and some A/Ts... 31s or less. (inexpensive is key)
replacing the suspension. (recos? my factory stuff is blows and wallows like a boat)
fix the sloppy feeling steering, maybe related to bouncy suspension.
replacing the bumpers... (can't wait to research this but throw some recos if you got 'em!)
recovering the headliner.
late console swap.... gotta get them cupholders, this is America after all!
clean it up cosmetically.

Budget is low, and it will be all DIY... I mainly listed the above items as reminders for what to search for, but tips are appreciated!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

hey! welcome to the forum!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Where in nc are you?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 AM

I'm from Raleigh... You? That's a nice XJ in your Avatar... I'd love to get your wheel/tire specs. I'm looking to build something very commute friendly but capable in all conditions.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by J308
I'm from Raleigh... You? That's a nice XJ in your Avatar... I'd love to get your wheel/tire specs. I'm looking to build something very commute friendly but capable in all conditions.
I'm in Greensboro but my grandparents live in the north hills area. Anyway my jeep has about a 3.5" lift and has 31"x10.5" Dunlop radial rover a/t's on 15x7 jeep canyon wheels with stock back spacing.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
I'm in Greensboro but my grandparents live in the north hills area. Anyway my jeep has about a 3.5" lift and has 31"x10.5" Dunlop radial rover a/t's on 15x7 jeep canyon wheels with stock back spacing.
Thanks man, got a link to any bigger pics? It looks pretty streetable!

I found a link today to a 2.5 OME lifted (what the $ hit!), with 30 inch tires that looked like what I want. 31"s is the biggest I will go as I still have to drive it every day and sometimes take trips.

North Hills, eh? Sweet. I live between Leesville Road and Glenwood.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks man, got a link to any bigger pics? It looks pretty streetable!

I found a link today to a 2.5 OME lifted (what the $ hit!), with 30 inch tires that looked like what I want. 31"s is the biggest I will go as I still have to drive it every day and sometimes take trips.

North Hills, eh? Sweet. I live between Leesville Road and Glenwood.
Yup. Here's my build thread. Stay tuned I think I'm gonna paint the fender flares this weekend! https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...-build-111102/
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

YAY another NC person joins lol. Well FYI pre 91 XJs AKA Renix model XJs have no CEL and you can get em pretty much dirt cheap. If your lucky you might find one with a D44 rear. They can be a bit finicky to work on though and the HOs that came on the OBD1 (1991 and newer) vehicles are a bit more desirable.

EDIT: NVM I didnt realize you had already bought an XJ.

Last edited by sam24th; 01-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Yup. Here's my build thread. Stay tuned I think I'm gonna paint the fender flares this weekend! https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...-build-111102/
Cool man thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to going through it.

I'm trying to get a better-than-stock ride without affecting mileage, and the hot ticket for this seems to be ~2" lift and 30" tires. This won't be a parking lot queen or champion mudder, just something to commute in any condition, be able to drive over curbs, and take up to state parks camping with the family.

Originally Posted by sam24th
YAY another NC person joins lol. Well FYI pre 91 XJs AKA Renix model XJs have no CEL and you can get em pretty much dirt cheap. If your lucky you might find one with a D44 rear. They can be a bit finicky to work on though and the HOs that came on the OBD1 (1991 and newer) vehicles are a bit more desirable.

EDIT: NVM I didnt realize you had already bought an XJ.
Yessir! Got my HO. I don't mind the CEL, as NC does Safety-only for OBD1s.

I definitely need to sort some things out on 'er though as it's a bit of a basket case at the moment. I've gone through your thread before I bought mine, and love what you've done with it. BTW, what happened to the ex that inspired the theme?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Cool man thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to going through it.

I'm trying to get a better-than-stock ride without affecting mileage, and the hot ticket for this seems to be ~2" lift and 30" tires. This won't be a parking lot queen or champion mudder, just something to commute in any condition, be able to drive over curbs, and take up to state parks camping with the family.

Yessir! Got my HO. I don't mind the CEL, as NC does Safety-only for OBD1s.

I definitely need to sort some things out on 'er though as it's a bit of a basket case at the moment. I've gone through your thread before I bought mine, and love what you've done with it. BTW, what happened to the ex that inspired the theme?
For better than stock, look to replace shocks and a lot of bushings.. Control arms, sway bar, track bar, tie rod ends.. I'm in the process of doing all of this myself ha. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Intro from NC, What year do I want to buy?