Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default Hi Kids! JD from the Dominican Republic

Hi guys. I posted over in the international section, but I thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

I've been a jeep guy all my life. Nothing radical, I've just enjoyed playing around with them and hanging out.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 300 lbs) so I decided some time ago it would be nice to own a 2 dr. Cherokee.

In a nutshell, vehicles over 5 yrs old cannot be imported into this country any more, so if I wanted a 2 dr, it would have to be found here. This is a country where 2 dr cars are not vehicles of choice, so a 2 dr was going to be the proverbial needle in a haystack.

I finally came across one with some potential. A 1990 with only two owners.
The first was an older lady that bought it new and took very good care of it, the second owner was an A/C shop owner who drove it and did no PM on it at all, other than changing oil. I believe that, because the engine is very clean inside.

After talking to the guy on 8-9 different occasions, I finally got him to sell it to me.

So far, I've replaced everything underneath that wears out, and brother, were some things worn out! The shocks actually extended and contracted depending on whether I was holding them up or down! Bushings and motor mounts were pretty much gone as well.

Now it rides and drives as close to new as it will ever get. (You can imagine how much fun it was to drive with everything shot underneath)

The guy had idle/running rough problems, so he unplugged vacuum lines and sensors until it quit running rough.

I've connected everything back where I believe it they go, and I've gotten to the point where it's idling rough again, meaning the computer is coming back to life. Still some fine tuning left to do there, for sure.

The inside is complete, but looks like it's never been washed since new. I'm not sure it will clean up enough, but we'll see.

I'm looking for an overhead console (grey), a passenger side sun visor, and the dash digital clock, and a drivers door vent window. If ya go any of those things laying around, please, give me a hollar.

Once everything is fixed/cleaned, it's off to the paint shop.

Here's how I found it:
Name:  Cherokee.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  185.4 KB

And here's she's cleaned up a bit, with everything new underneath.
Name:  IMG-20121015-00077_zps83940c43.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  148.8 KB

I've since gotten rid of the bush guard in the front.

I'll be checking back in a day or two. I've got a couple of questions about the map sensor and where the tube from it goes on the throttle body.

Oddly enough, it's got it's original 4.0 inline six, but it's not the same as I see in the manual, or in google images fotos.

I'll shoot some pics, and throw them up here, to see if some of the experts here can offer some advice.

Good to be back!

Last edited by jdjonesdr; 04-26-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Looks pretty good.
Here's a vacuum diagram for the '89 XJ 4.0L, which should be similar to the '90. It shows vacuum lines in black, and the map sensor at the top in the diagram. Hope it's helpful.

Name:  untitledVacuumdiagram40_zpsa4496973.png
Views: 19
Size:  284.1 KB

Name:  10mnc4m.gif
Views: 24
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Hi and a warm welcome.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the site
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna throw this out here to see what you guys have to say.

I've hooked all the vacuum lines and sensors again, and as one would expect, the computer is trying to control the engine again, so I'm getting a rough idle.

I'm thinking about changing the Oxygen sensor and the IAT sensor. I can't imagine them still being good after years of being disconnected.

The one hose I'm not sure about is the one from the MAP sensor to the throttle body. Here's a picture of how I've put it. (not sure if it's right)

Every picture I see of this engine shows a different configuration for the MAP sensor connection, but as you can see in the pic, there's no place else for it to go. Sorry for the crappy cel phone picture.

Name:  IMG-20121106-00125.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  120.2 KB

Do any of you have an opinion? Also notice the aluminum heat shield. I've never seen one of those before, but it sure looks original.

Last edited by jdjonesdr; 11-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Looks pretty good.
Here's a vacuum diagram for the '89 XJ 4.0L, which should be similar to the '90. It shows vacuum lines in black, and the map sensor at the top in the diagram. Hope it's helpful.

Got that one, but thanks, brother.