help me choose a jeep

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 99 4.0
Exclamation help me choose a jeep

Hey everyone, Im new here, but not new to jeeps. I have been around,and driven multiple, and I have owned one.

My last jeep was a 90 xj laredo, that had every option you can think of. including power seats, and a sunroof.
Fast forward over a year, and that jeep is now long gone. and I am looking to pick up a car to get around town, and I have decided to get another jeep.

I have a steady job right now and am wondering what jeep I should save for. the xj is by far my favorite jeep, but I would entertain a mj if one came up. what im wondering is what model/year/details should I look for.

I have found a decent 89 pretty cheap, but I think that I should stay away from the renix system. So anything after 91 good? I know about the intake manifold update, but I think that the price difference between a 91 and a 98? isnt worth it, since I can get the new IM and TB for practically nothing. and for that matter any other parts off any year jeep I need to.

are all the 4.0s the same? are all xjs after 91 the HO? power and drivetrain are whats the most impoortant to me, but what do you guys feel about everything else? I think im gonna go auto, so I dont have to worry about how good the clutch is, whether or not I can let someone borrow it, or if Im gonna stall it in 4 feet of mud. is there any reason why I really should get a stick? my last auto held up great and never let me down, or wanting for more...except maybe in gas mileage. which transfer case is better? my 90 had the one with the parttime, but ive also driven the one with shift on the fly. either one stronger? i heard the one with selectable part time was the stronger one, but this jeep will be driven more and during the snow, so shift on the fly might be better for me, if its not weaker.

sorry for the huge list of questions, but I know that if you want info you have to ask...thanks.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from Wisconsin. My '91 limited just hit 69,000 miles. Haven't had any problems to speak of. The usual maintaince, Upgraded headlights, Upgraded stereo, The sagging headliner. And a brake job. All something that I would expect from a car that will be 20 in two months. And I would not be afraid to drive it across the US. So shop around. I myself would look for '91 or above, with the lowest miles. (I know they run forever) Non lifted already, would be my choice. I don't trust other peoples stuff, or workmanship. Al thought I'm not a "ROCK CRAWLER". my just stock XJ, Is used for hunting, Ice fishing, Trout fishing, A DD during winter (also savorier to my wife during winter. And her car can't make through), And to haul my two Weimaraners around. Take a look at my photo album. Someday soon I'll lift it Little. Because my leafs, and shocks should be replaced within the year. But even then I'm only plan to throw on 2.5" Old man Emu on it. (Thus still retaining the stock look. But can fit 31' into the wheel well.) It's your Jeep, Make it how you want. JMO!

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 10-30-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 99 4.0

thanks for the response

I agree with alot of what you have to say. I had a 90 before, and its little differences were annoying. and on mine i fit 30s without a lift, but it had a good suspension,, just no lift.

I have found 3 so far.

1 a very well built 98 that i will buy if the guy get back to me

2 a 91 loredo 4 door for 1300. it needs a leaf, and exhaust. but comes with a whole other parts jeep

3 a 99 that doesnt need anywork. but is asking 25 obo. could prolly get it for 2k.

I think I might do a 3" if I get #2 or #3. I dont need lift, but I would still like the best thing possible, like the most flex,travel, and quality. any ideas for a no holds barred light lift?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

rustys makes a good 3 inch, and also a good 2 and a half inch lift also if you didnt wanna go up to 3, and they are decently priced also