A Hello from Oxfordshire, England..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A Hello from Oxfordshire, England..

Hi All,

Well, I thought I'd just quickly pop by and say hello. I have been a proud owner of an XJ Jeep for 8 days now.. I call her Mildred, she's an In-Line 6 GAS/LPG powered Sport Model - Born in 1999

She's done 116,000 miles and has been incredibly well looked after. She's never had a tow-bar fitted and judging by the underbody, never been off-road.

She had a reconditioned rear diff last year with reconditioned prop shafts, the rear suspension has been replaced along with a few other bits and pieces. She has a little surface rust in a few non-obvious places which with the excellent weather we suddenly had last weekend, I treated which I hope has stopped it in its tracks - Or, slowed it at least.. It's surface rust after all!

The Engine is very strong as is the gearbox. However, she does appear to have a slight coolant loss issue. There are no leaks around the water system, no oil in the water or water in the oil. There are no puddles on the floor and no sweet sticky smell on gycol in the cabin or under the bonnet. I have read about 2000 / 2001 model year heads being weaker and cracking between cylinders 3-4 but if I'm reading this right, this was around the cast iron boss for the coil packs on the last of the I6 Units - This hasn't got the Coil Packs but a distributer. I will continue to monitor but if anyone does have any ideas it would be great!

When she's up to running temperature, she's on Maximum fluid level - I was always taught to check coolant levels cold though..

The Transfer box has the slightest of weeps - not enough to cause a drip on the drive so I fear someone may have over-filled it - This weekend coming (subject to weather) I'll be under it again to see what I can see.

The steel rims are a little corroded bur the tyres (tires) are all new with good amounts of "winter" tread on them. I intend (once I get a little more money) to get some lovely Jeep Alloy wheels and "Summer" tyres and swap them over - Good old ebay!!

When things get cold and snowy again in November onwards, I'll change them back!

I hope to be able to post a picture on here before I post this so wish me luck - If there's no picture, I'll try again on another post another time!

Well, that's me and Mildred - Happy in Oxfordshire!

All the best and I look forward to reading all through this forum over the coming weeks

Phil..
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Looks good Phil.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post