Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Hello! Just bought a project Jeep

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and make a mark on the forum as I suspect I will want to really pull some knowledge from here as I get this Jeep back into shape.

I have been looking for a 4x4 for a while to take on desert and fire trails but have pretty much given up my search and decided to use my F150. However, our daughter just turned 15 and sitting at breakfast yesterday we were all talking and realized that we needed a 3rd car in about 6 months. So out of curiosity I pull up craigslist and 2nd from the top (posted about 20 min prior) was a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4. It was running when the owner got it but he noticed a slight knock in the engine and started to tear the engine down for rebuild. So this is the condition in which I bought it for $300 (he wanted it gone that day and we happened to be the first people to call).

The Jeep:
  • 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4
  • Auto Trans
  • Clean Title
  • Catalytic Convertor Still Installed
  • Interior about 80% (headliner, some trim pieces, needs a good cleaning)
  • Exterior Body with zero rust
  • Under Side and frame zero rust
  • Engine needs to be put back together (potential knock)
  • Needs a battery
  • Supposedly the 4x4 and all electrics work fine
  • Looks like it needs some new rear leaf springs
  • Steering column is loose

So anyone that reads this do you have any advice as I begin this project? Should I put the engine back together and then listen for the knock and start a rebuild or should I continue the engine teardown? Any idea on what the knock may be (the owner thought it was a bearing)? Anything else I should look for in this vehicle or a certain pathway I should take while getting it back to roadworthy (buying this or that upgrades etc that will save me money in the long run or keep me from doing something twice)?

Thanks a lot guys and I really look forward to getting this Jeep up and running again... it is a beautiful vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Hello! Just bought a project Jeep-00o0o_k2qefllbbmn_1200x900.jpg   Hello! Just bought a project Jeep-01515_hvzgbv6ilse_1200x900.jpg   Hello! Just bought a project Jeep-00d0d_cpfr2yp8qod_1200x900.jpg   Hello! Just bought a project Jeep-00g0g_eksqlvhhuqq_1200x900.jpg  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!! Nice score on your Laredo- I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it'll make a great all around 3rd vehicle for your fam.

From my personal experience, don't do anything twice. I'd either buy a remanufactured short block or dive into what you have. End result will be a mechanically sound vehicle.
Replace all fluids in the balance of the drivetrain
Enjoy