Hello from Eastern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hello from Eastern Ontario

Well I finally broke down and bought a XJ after years of looking and drooling. A little about me, I am 49 years old, live in a little town in Eastern Ontario along the St Lawrence River, and like cars. My first memory of a Jeep Cherokee is of a mid 70s Cherokee Chief in baby blue and white. It belonged to my uncle and for some reason I always associated it with success. MAybe it was because it was brand new and just so big and impressive looking sitting next to our rusted out early 70s Ford station wagon

I could have gotten one years ago, but always passed them over for sports cars. Finally this year I picked up another sports car, a 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T, as a project car and got fed up with always finding more things to do on it to keep it off the road. Tonight I went and looked at a 1998 Cherokee Sport and bought it. Like most Canadian daily drivers it has some rust spots that need attention, and a ticking noise coming from the transmission/transfer case when it is put in gear. I haven't brought her home yet so I haven't got any miles on it other than a quick test drive around the block. I will be bringing her home tomorrow afternoon and I should be able to locate the ticking noise in the 50 mile trip. I didn't bring her home tonight because I wasn't able to get to the shop to borrow the dealer plates before heading out to look at it.

Yeah Yeah I know, you have read this far and still no pictures or mention of price. Well for those that waited here you go.

Name:  XJ2_zps4b74bdfa.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  XJ3_zpse0fda63f.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  89.4 KB

These are not my pictures, they are from the sales add, and the roof rack didn't come with it so I will have to make or buy my own. And now for the purchase price, I paid all of $400 Canadian for it. I figured for the price if it dies on the way home I can sell the 4 new tires and other new parts and get my money back. Being that it is a Jeep and that I will just taking a leisurely drive home I can't see it not making the trip.

For this year all I plan on doing to her is fixing the rough spots on the body and curing the ticking noise. I know for a fact that the ticking is not a sticky lifter. Remember I mentioned that I was working on a 92 Stealth, that 3.0L DOHC engine is well known for its lifter ticking and bad valve stem seals. I have got that motor purring like a kitten now The ticking on the XJ is coming from under the floor between the front seats, and nothing from under the hood.
In the future I see a 4.5" lift, bigger tires, bumpers, and a winch. Nothing radical, I want to keep it streetable and reliable, yet gain a little more offroad worthyness. I am not sure on the Deep Amethyst color, I always pictured my Jeep in Forest Green like my fathers 1981 J10
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.

Tony
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM