Greetings From The Land Of Robin Hood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4 Litre Straight Six Petrol/LPG
Default Greetings From The Land Of Robin Hood!

Hi There,

I have just acquired a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited, (4 Litre straight six), for taking the dogs out for walks in the nearby country, (Belvoir Castle is not too far away from us)!

Not sure what second hand Jeep prices are like over in the States but I paid a very reasonable sum for the truck, (including 6 months mot and 3 months road tax), so I am well pleased, (my Marin Mount Vision cost three times more than the Jeep)!

She has a few 'issues' such as the AC is not working, (could just require a re-charge if I am lucky), a strong smell of petrol from the rear of the vehicle and it was in a very filthy condition.

I collected her last weekend and completely stripped out all of the upholstory and jet washed the carpets and seats, (they are almost like new now), although it was quite difficult getting the carpets back in.

When I collected her the smell of petrol had developed into a visible leak and, (after a further discussion with the seller), I managed a further reduction in the price!

After I had cleaned the interior I atempted to drop the tanks, (it has the LPG conversion - 30 litre petrol tank and 70 litre LPG Cylinder), which is very difficult when you have a pressurised cylinder containing 70 litres of highly flammable gas on board!

The main petrol feed pipe, (from the pump to the in line filter), was perished and fuel was weeping out and then running along the pipe, (between the rubber pipe and the outer textile weave), and the quick release fuel pump fitting was also leaking.

I can't believe how difficult it is to get hold of these fittings, (in the UK), as everybody wants to sell me a complete fuel line so I have had to revert to a Jeep dismantler who has put one aside for me, (I hope to pick it up on Wednesday).

Otherwise first impressions good as it drives well and pulls like a train when you put your foot down although she does have a tendency to wallow, (a typical 4WD trait)?

Whilst I am waiting for the fuel connector I am tidying up the wiring in the dash, (after market phone kit and stereo was fitted with lots of nasty crimps), and I am now re-soldering each cable and then using heat shrink to produce a far more professional job.

I will now read some of the other technical posts in order to see what else I can look forward to in the future, (and hopefully be able to assist others with their problems).
Old 09-02-2013, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum! Can u put up pictures? We ll love to see them!
Good luck In your build!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site