First time owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default First time owner

I've been around and under the hood of many of Jeeps in the past, but have never owned. Many of times when shopping around for a car I would try to find a good Wrangler or XJ, but here in the Northeast, less than 1% of people around here can be bothered to wash their undercarriages after a storm. So finally after selling yet another car that didn't suit my needs, finally came across a clean 99 Cherokee Sport. Unfortunately it's automatic, and I have no doubt that will come back to bite me one day, but there's hardly any rust underneath on this one. One area in the back corner needs some attention but I'm gonna hit it up with some POR-15.

As nice as it appears, there are definitely some things on this rig that are going to need some attention: The whole body leans a bit on the passenger side (I haven't figured out why yet), the PO cut the wires to the foglights, the leaf springs look like they should be replaced, and there is a strange whining noise when I step on the brakes (regardless of whether or not I'm moving) among other things, but I REALLY want this Jeep to work out because I've always wanted one of these.

Being used to vehicles with double-wishbone and MacPherson strut suspensions, I have to say, this setup seems a whole lot simpler. Simpler than my old C/10 pickup even. I hope that working on this is as easy as it seems, because it looks a hell of a lot less complicated to work on than my Infiniti. Hoping for a keeper that I can hold on to for years!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Welcome Invisible. Congrats on your XJ, sounds like you found a good one. The issues with it that you mention sound minor, and fixable with a bit of tinkering. The big thing with these XJs is rust, and if all is well there then the rest is just window dressing!

You're right, these XJs are VERY simple, with plentiful and inexpensive parts. You'll enjoy working on yours (once you figure out how to break those seized up 18 year old bolts free!)