First Jeep (XJ)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Jeep (XJ)

Greetings from Kansas City,

For years I've wanted a "square bodied jeep". I was so into it i started researching the history of the cherokee (long before ever buying one) and realized I wanted an XJ. Well, yesterday I finally had the opportunity to buy my first one.

What started with a rough patch that involved multiple parking tickets and a tow (just recently moved downtown where the only parking is 2 hour street parking), turned into a a blessing in disguise.
I'm not a rich guy. I sold off my entire vintage stereo collection (my hobby) and half of my vinyl record collection to afford this purchase of $1500 (I told you... not rich.... not even close.... let's just say I'm getting by and $1500 is big money to me).

Thanks to some pretty amazing luck and circumstance, I was able to get in touch with a gentleman who decided to sell his Xj (he was the second owner) for a pretty great price.

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
160k miles.
Virtually rust free body and interior still looks great.
4.0 I6 (a masterpiece).
4x4.
"Country" trim package = wood grain accents, vinyl trim and cloth seats and those awesone "spoked" wheels.
All electric windows and locks working quite snappy.
AC and Heat both work great.

All it needed was some brake fluid and tires. (Fed and bled the brakes and got some used tires today)

I'm just astonished at how well this vehicle has held up over 21 years.
​​​​​​
To say I'm smitten is an understatement. I'm so pumped to finally own one of these legendary trucks.

I dont intend to modify it at all. Maybe a slight lift only because I am 6"7.
But I love seeing other people's modified jeeps and look forward to the discussions as well!

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Nocoastdude
Greetings from Kansas City,

For years I've wanted a "square bodied jeep". I was so into it i started researching the history of the cherokee (long before ever buying one) and realized I wanted an XJ. Well, yesterday I finally had the opportunity to buy my first one.

What started with a rough patch that involved multiple parking tickets and a tow (just recently moved downtown where the only parking is 2 hour street parking), turned into a a blessing in disguise.
I'm not a rich guy. I sold off my entire vintage stereo collection (my hobby) and half of my vinyl record collection to afford this purchase of $1500 (I told you... not rich.... not even close.... let's just say I'm getting by and $1500 is big money to me).

Thanks to some pretty amazing luck and circumstance, I was able to get in touch with a gentleman who decided to sell his Xj (he was the second owner) for a pretty great price.

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
160k miles.
Virtually rust free body and interior still looks great.
4.0 I6 (a masterpiece).
4x4.
"Country" trim package = wood grain accents, vinyl trim and cloth seats and those awesone "spoked" wheels.
All electric windows and locks working quite snappy.
AC and Heat both work great.

All it needed was some brake fluid and tires. (Fed and bled the brakes and got some used tires today)

I'm just astonished at how well this vehicle has held up over 21 years.
​​​​​​
To say I'm smitten is an understatement. I'm so pumped to finally own one of these legendary trucks.

I dont intend to modify it at all. Maybe a slight lift only because I am 6"7.
But I love seeing other people's modified jeeps and look forward to the discussions as well!

Cheers!
Well my I be the first to welcome you to the 4x4 community.. But most important the Jeep Cherokee family .. You did good, you will see how owning a Jeep can be a hobby just fixing stuff that goes wrong...lol Im joking.. Take care of your Heep and it will take care of you..

If you never have done automotive repair.. The Jeep Cherokee is the perfect platform for beginners.. If you have done automotive repair in the past then waaahhhhooo!! easy peasy..

You will also find out most repairs can be done by you for super cheap, perfect right?..

If you run into trouble with repairs or anything. You can always count on your new family to help out...

Once again,,, Welcome To CF

Oh one more thing.. watch that front right tire,,from the pic it looks as if the threads are showing..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Well my I be the first to welcome you to the 4x4 community.. But most important the Jeep Cherokee family .. You did good, you will see how owning a Jeep can be a hobby just fixing stuff that goes wrong...lol Im joking.. Take care of your Heep and it will take care of you..

If you never have done automotive repair.. The Jeep Cherokee is the perfect platform for beginners.. If you have done automotive repair in the past then waaahhhhooo!! easy peasy..

You will also find out most repairs can be done by you for super cheap, perfect right?..

If you run into trouble with repairs or anything. You can always count on your new family to help out...

Once again,,, Welcome To CF

Oh one more thing.. watch that front right tire,,from the pic it looks as if the threads are showing..
I like to think of myself as slightly mechanically inclined. I've worked on every vehicle I've owned.
Yeah both front tires were replaced yesterday. They were beyond shot. The back ones are no where near as bad at the moment but will be changed out soon anyway.

thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Welcome, sir. I will say this XJ has found a loving 3rd owner. Good to see your passion and dedication. Selling your vinyl collection im sure was not easy.

Please stick to these forums. You will find many friends, enlightenment, and have a few laughs along the way. excited to have you here.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

Welcome. Can readily relate within +97.5%, as to height. Put in a CR Laurence 17×35 pop up sunroof which seems to help for some reason. They cost about $200. Roof bezel is fit to the roof ribs, seems fairly rigid. Helps on long drives. Put one in an '89, and a '97. They hold up well enough.

Last edited by '00 XJ; 02-17-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by '00 XJ
Welcome. Can readily relate within +97.5%, as to height. Put in a CR Laurence 17×35 pop up sunroof which seems to help for some reason. They cost about $200. Roof bezel is fit to the roof ribs, seems fairly rigid. Helps on long drives. Put one in an '89, and a '97. They hold up well enough.
that's a great idea actually.
I may eventually throw a roof basket on it to carry a full size spare so I can utilize all the storage room in the back. Wonder how that would work with a pop up sun roof.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

that's a great idea actually.
I may eventually throw a roof basket on it to carry a full size spare so I can utilize all the storage room in the back. Wonder how that would work with a pop up sun roof.
Depends on the rack, height (clearance) and length are one factor. Though I'll also be installing a Frontrunner rack which will go over the sunroof, but has movable cross pieces. I think Gobi, or someone makes one with a cut out floor and mesh insert for sunroofs. When you pop the top, the airflow cools the interior instantly. Makes long trips more enjoyable for you and the crew, keeps everyone cordial.

Last edited by '00 XJ; 02-17-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0L

I would love to see pictures of the interior!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Robert McColley
I would love to see pictures of the interior!

Old 02-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks nice. I'd be jazzed.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0L

Those seats are in insanely good condition for a Cherokee. Can't wait to see how this thing turns out.