'98 Cherokee Limited - anyone need a project car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '98 Cherokee Limited - anyone need a project car?

I've been on this site a few times in the past to find answers to some tech questions concerning my 98 Cherokee- each time successfully. Unfortunately, my daily driver Cherokee finally failed me. The motor (4.0L) sounds to have spun a rod bearing.

I got a good deal on the Jeep, so I'm debating whether it's worth it to keep and try to swap in a working motor or if I should try to sell it on here as a good shell? (body's in good shape, a few minor dents) or even take it to a Pull-A-Part?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

swap another 4.0 in. i made that mistake my my lifted zj and i regret it so much. you can pick up an engine from 150$-500$ it all depends but i would swap another one in for sure
Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Please do the swap! It would be a sad day for all Jeepers to see it go to the waste land for a mere heart transplant! You can do it! You won't regret it! Worst case find a new home for 'er. You've got a good vehicle there. Best of luck! Don't forget you can always ask for help, there are people out here for you!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Year: 1995

Wow, where are you located. Might be worth keeping it.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm in Las Vegas. There are people all over the world that will give you help/advice/extra hand. Also just in the last 5 minutes I've found people looking for Jeeps like crazy. So go with your gut instinct!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM

I'm in Columbia, SC. Thanks for the replies. I'm a little torn at the moment. Like I said, I really didn't pay much for the vehicle...Is the 4.0L a pretty easy motor? I work on Nissans mostly- my track car/weekend car I know inside and out, but this is unfamiliar territory for me.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barren Bastion
I'm in Las Vegas. There are people all over the world that will give you help/advice/extra hand. Also just in the last 5 minutes I've found people looking for Jeeps like crazy. So go with your gut instinct!
Where are these people?? haha... Really, I mean, like I said it's a daily driver/parts vehicle for me. If I can sell it to someone who really wants a Jeep to modify, etc..I think it would be a better home.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 PM

The 4.0 I6 is a very basic, strong engine. There isn't a lot of b.s. It's all in what you want to do. If you want to keep it and fix it up( time, money, energy, cuts and scrapes, money....ohh I said that already.... then some more money) then go for it. You can find people if you really look that have information and or friends you can buy some beer for or find people on this forum who live close to you that will help you out. However if that doesn't sound like the way to go you can also have a shop put one in/ pay someone to do it. If that isn't where you want to go at all then dump it. It all comes down to do you want to wheel or not? And how much money/time do you want to devote.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barren Bastion
The 4.0 I6 is a very basic, strong engine. There isn't a lot of b.s. It's all in what you want to do. If you want to keep it and fix it up( time, money, energy, cuts and scrapes, money....ohh I said that already.... then some more money) then go for it. You can find people if you really look that have information and or friends you can buy some beer for or find people on this forum who live close to you that will help you out. However if that doesn't sound like the way to go you can also have a shop put one in/ pay someone to do it. If that isn't where you want to go at all then dump it. It all comes down to do you want to wheel or not? And how much money/time do you want to devote.

You're right. I guess really the point of this is to gauge how difficult the swap would be. I suppose if I can find the 4.0 for cheap enough I will go ahead with it.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM

Cool. Sounds like things are coming together for you. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 AM

The other possibility is to have your engine rebuilt. It may or may not be cheaper than a swap, but could be a viable option if another 4.0 isn't readily available. Also you would know the integrity of a rebuilt motor vs. a random used 4.0. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Ok I just found this info on a rebuild.

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/je...2-engines.html
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 AM

If I were in your shoes I'd either rebuild or drop a new engine in (or drop a new one in so you can drive it while you stroke the old one). But if you decide you wanna sell, sell it here, that way it goes to a good home rather than rotting in a junkyard.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info Barren. That's a bit of a price tag on those things. Rebuilding wouldn't be a terrible option I don't think, if the bearings were all I had to replace, but I changed the valve cover gasket a few weeks ago and found a horrrrrrrible amount of engine sludge from, I assume, the previous owner's carelessness with the vehicle.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by two4d
I'm in Columbia, SC. Thanks for the replies. I'm a little torn at the moment. Like I said, I really didn't pay much for the vehicle...Is the 4.0L a pretty easy motor? I work on Nissans mostly- my track car/weekend car I know inside and out, but this is unfamiliar territory for me.

My parents live in Lexington. I may be interested in your Jeep, can you email me pics? PMing you the address.

Quick Reply: '98 Cherokee Limited - anyone need a project car?