89' blown head vs 91' running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89' blown head vs 91' running?

Hi all
Just about to drop some money on a new rig. New to XJ's except some fun in them in the past, and been around them but not had my own.

Learned reading on here about the 0331 heads. I'm debating between these two finds:

(1)
89' XJ, 3" lift (no details yet) with 32 MT's -nice tires!
BAD: Blown head gasket (probably cracked 0331, no idea), no battery and needs h20 pump installed as well. Barely runs, will need immediate head pull and work. Knowing how parts go, will cost $300+ in time + labor to fix. And it still needs the battery.
BONUS: Looks Nice and capable?
$700 USD

(2)
91' stock. Has the nicer 4.0L IN6 (is that still a 0331?) and is fuel injected (?), rebuilt 93k miles ago, strong. Decent tires, no lift. Runs fine. Decent interior.
BAD: 300k body so BIG sag on rear springs, cracked window and one broken.
BONUS: has the Dana44 (factory tow package?) and AW-4 Auto tranny.
$800 USD

I'm leaning towards the '91, as it's running, and the stock setup with some new springs ($200 to fix blown stock ones) is less work than finding a good 4.0 and replacing it or pulling and rebuilding the head. It's like apples to oranges- $400 to fix a head + new battery) or $300 to fix bad leaf springs and glass. It's about $1,000 each, to get them going for the winter -so almost the same deal.

Which means it's about RUST and if that's a D44 on the 91', and if the 91' has the better 4.0L, or might be running into the same problems within a year or so...

BIG QUESTION: do the 91' 4.0L IN6's still use the 0331 heads?

Pending rust inspection and a test drive, I'm guessing that (2) -the runner is the better deal -can always lift it and it's good to go right now. But if it's got the 0331 heads, well at least the 89' is known to be bad, and it's already lifted, so just need to do the engine work. Everytime I think I know I find some new information on the forums.

Any input? Which one would you get?
What should I look out for or check? Is it worth getting the compression tested on the '91 if it's running strong and no smoke?

Thanks!
I'll post pics once I can.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

They didn't all run the 0331. I think they were on the '00-'01 XJ. Double check the head casting number. It's on the top of head next to the valve cover, driver side. Sounds like the '91 is what you want.