1st time XJ owner - from Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1st time XJ owner - from Illinois

Hi there, I had written 2 paragraphs for an introduction... and then uploaded the following pics (and then the text that claimed to be autosaved... disappeared). So I will have to rewrite it later when I find the time to get into detail.

I just picked this up in Centerville, OH for $1,800. I'm glad to be a new (to me) XJ owner.

This picture was taken after I purchased the XJ (and had new BF Goodrich A/T's installed at Discount Tire for $840 all in).

Last edited by amarine1; 09-12-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: To add context to the post.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990

Those tires are sick

Last edited by Ol’Goldy; 06-09-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I’m too stupid to internet properly
Old 06-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990

That’s a nice grab for that price

Last edited by Ol’Goldy; 06-09-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I’m too stupid to internet
Old 08-20-2020, 02:23 AM

Thanks everyone.

So, I have been working on my XJ for 8 months, and it is about ready to go to Moab. I am sooooooooo close.

1. 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4.

2. 4.0 Inline6 w/ A/C
3. Automatic Transmission with 2H, 4H & 4L transfer case
4. Rockers installed both front and back.
5. 3 inch lift and 32's.
6. Stock ASC Factory electric sunroof (works great, no seal issues).

7. I have replaced the interior seats (with the stronger Limited cloth seats as the original seat's brackets were broken), changed the headliner, did a complete tune-up, replaced all fluids, added R134a to the A/C. New exhaust. No death wobble & runs smoothly. 249,000 miles (excellent compression). Anything that needed additional structural support welded in regarding weak points, was done. It is not a typical midwest rust bucket, it is just well used (the paint has scratches, but no dents so that is fine with me). I didn't want a trailer king.

So far, I have spent another $2,500 (including the tires & rockers) in addition to the original $1,800. It drives wonderfully, quietly, and with zero issues. Until now.

Small problem. Everything was running fine, until yesterday. The previous owner had installed a very cheap JVC CD stereo and it truly sucked (but it worked - I just didn't like how it was installed and how cheap it was). It used the standard ebay stereo connector kit (to connect to the stock wiring). So, I wanted to install a stock Chrysler CD/Cassette stereo as they work great (sound good) & can handle the jostling of the rock crawling I plan on doing.. Also, did I mention how much this stereo sucked?

Yesterday, I uninstalled the JVC and I went to install the stock stereo (that I got from a Junk Yard). I know it works, but when I went to turn it on.... nothing. Weird.

And then all of a sudden, my Instrument Cluster stopped working (all warnings show up, but the gauges themselves don't move any needles & no odometer).

I've checked the fuses on the internal fuse box (on the right footwell) and the fuses checked out fine. I've read on other XJ forums that there might be an issue with the bus connectors needing to be cleaned. I went to the junk yard and picked up not just one instrument cluster, but two.

When I got home, I went to install it, and nothing / nada / nyet.

I am open to any and all ideas ya'll may have (or any link to a possible solution).
Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 AM

Thumbs up Resolved

Well, it is 2 am and I have finally finished resolving the issues with myXJ. I took off the front headlights and light cans (to gain access to the hood latches behind them). 15 minutes later, I was successful (the hood is open). So, I then went to the IOD fuse again & just replaced it with a new one. And now everything inside works again (the instrument cluster gauges, the stereo, the interior lights, & the sun visor mirror lights). It is the 2nd time I am replacing the IOD fuse, but it is holding with no issues now (I did a lot of cleaning up grounds around the XJ). The replacement instrument cluster has 177k miles on it (the miles are not in the PCM like newer Chryslers ie: most 2001-2008 models), so that sucks, But my XJ actually has 249k miles. I guess I will have to live with it ......

I installed the replacement stereo (the stock AM/FM Cassette unit) as the POS JVC stereo that the previous owner put in sucked huge. I wanted to install the upgraded AM/FM/CD/Cassette, but the one from the J/Y does not show the frequency of the stereo... so I will be going back to the J/Y tomorrow to try & find another one (they are in most 1995-2000 Chryslers & there are plenty of them in the yard). I really want to have the CD/Cassette options (I also use a Bluetooth power module that broadcasts in FM stereo.... so I can get my phone to play on the stereo on 88.7 fm allowing google maps/streaming & hands free calls). I'll have to live with the simpler stereo for another couple of weeks, but that is ok (as it sounds great).

I installed/replaced a A/C High pressure switch... so I am hoping to fill the system with R134a tomorrow & see the A/C compressor engage.

The headliner is still looking good (replaced by the previous owner), and since I have a electric sunroof - I have to be careful where to put the dome light. The final touches were replacing the stock headlights with LED headlights..... and installing a "white" grill & headlight cover from a J/Y XL onto mine (it looks interesting given the red body).

Last but not least... the hood latch cable now works correctly with the latch/cable bell , but I apparently did not install the latches correctly as the hood won't stay closed. So, tomorrow, its back to adjusting the latches (by removing the lights). She is purring like a kitten and is driving smooth (and with these last minor adjustments, I'll be ready to take the XJ to Starved Rock state park within the next 2 weeks). I really want to try out my new rockers & new 32's on some hills/trails..

Last edited by amarine1; 08-21-2020 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard91 (02-24-2024)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

Hows the restoration going
The following users liked this post:
Richard91 (02-24-2024)