1995 Jeep Cherokee- need help

Old 10-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 Jeep Cherokee- need help

Hi
First want to say Thank-you for being here, I'm a 50 yr old woman who knows nothing about cars, well I know you change your oil and tires!!
I have a 95' that I paid 15oo for. It had 105k, so thought it was reasonable. A few months ago it starts hesitating kind a like its misfiring?? Also engine light has been on for a long time, don't know if it correlates. I noticed if I use the air (wont anymore) it hesitates a lot more. I smell gas when jeep is running, again don't know if its all related.
And it does burn a lot of gas, (I think).

Yesterday I noticed a water leak, had it looked at quick by neighbor was informed I need water pump.

I did have a tune up done when I noticed the problems, didn't really have bearing on problem.

If anybody has any clue please let me know.

Thanks Denise
Old 10-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like you have quite a few problems with the vehicle. I'd bring it in to a mechanic to have him do a complete vehicle inspection so that you know exactly what problems the vehicle has.

Everyone here is good at guessing what's wrong with a vehicle site unseen and without even opening the hood, but to actually know requires you to bring it in for a complete inspection.

The hesitation could be related if your Jeep isn't delivering fuel due to a leaky fuel line which can by why you smell gasoline. That's a pretty dangerous problem.

It could also be a bad ground, plugs, ignition, etc. A whole host of problems could be at play. Much like an orchestra, everything needs to play their role in unison. If a couple things are wrong then it's a bit harder to answer the question.

I'm sure you'll get some better responses from the people here. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

Sounds like you have some type of fuel delivery problem. If the engine light has been on for a while you really should take it to a garage. They will hook up a reader and see what is causing the light to be on. Not sure who did the tune up for you but I wouldn't take it back there.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum