1993 Grand Cherokee starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1993 Grand Cherokee starting problems

Hi Everyone! I own a 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it's been having problems starting up. The engine will turn when I turn the key, but it will not turn over and actually start. I have checked the starter, the fuel pressure, the fuel pump, and the battery. All of them check out. The engine distributor is brand new, along with the spark plugs, since they were both replaced last year. But still there are days that the Jeep will start on the first try, other days it will take several tries of turning the key before it catches, and others it just will not start. Any suggestions, or help, will be greatly appreciated since this problem has been going on for months now and I can't get to the bottom of it.
Thanks,
Agata
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Maybe this is a stupid question, but, are all the connections tight? Sounds to me, without actually being there, like there is a loose connection somewhere. Maybe as simple as a battery clamp ya know?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM

All of the connections are fine. I went over them and nothing is lose, nothing is broken.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

If the engine is turning and it is not starting then it can only be two things. 1. not getting fire or 2. not getting gas. You seemed to have checked everything but it has to be one of the two. If you havent checked your injectors you may want to pull each one out and check them. I had two go bad in mine do to heat of the engine which would cause a misfire which could cause it to not to start in some cases. check the that they are not gunked and check the wires that power the injectors to make sure there are not shorts.

If it is not that try jumping an ark to a screw driver (carufully) to each plug wire to make sure each one is getting fire from the distributer. you never know, could have bought a bad wire, i have before.

Also check the battery terminals, it may be getting enough power to turn the engine, but not fast enough for the engine to start and run on its own. kinda like not kick starting a dirtbike hard enough. Ther terminals are bad for gunging up on jeeps in general.