Accessories Post any Cherokee accessories you wish to sell.
Mark this thread as Unsold

[FS] 97+ SIX switch bezels (and more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97+ SIX switch bezels (and more)

A little background:

Summer of 2015, someone on another forum started asking about where they could find a long-discontinued police package 4 switch bezel for the 97-01 models. As most of you know, this was a rare piece to begin with so we basically told him he was SOL unless he manufactured one himself.

Well, as it turns out, I've always wanted to be an engineer. I had some CAD training forever ago, and 3D printing is kind of a real thing now, so I grabbed my 3 switch bezel and some digital calipers and got to work.

Six months and MANY prototypes later:

The 12v power socket there is aftermarket, but the switches are all OEM. The aftermarket OEM-style switches work, too.

I've got a design with the power socket on either the driver or passenger side, and the power socket can be the standard 12v one you see there, or a dual USB that fits in the same hole. There's also a voltmeter that fits.

A couple folks bought one and I did some more designs, too. There are 2, 3, and 4 switch models with different spots for power. The 2 and 3 switch models are set up so that you can drill holes for your own switches if you don't want to use OEM style ones (because the OEM style ones are rather expensive).

Then a guy contacted me for a custom design that uses the brand new Blue Sea 1039 dual USB power adapter, so I made one of those, too. I liked it so much it's what I'm running now:

I have uploaded my designs to a company called Shapeways, which is a lot like CafePress only for 3D printed objects instead of shirts and mugs. I do the design work, but they handle everything else. Orders, processing, manufacturing, shipping, returns, etc.

I learned very quickly that the hobbyist grade printers really weren't up to the task. The tabs that hold the switches in place would break immediately. Shapeways uses a different kind of printer that costs as much as a house, and the outcome is much better.

You can see (and buy) all of my designs here: http://shapeways.com/shops/gctent

So now the bad news.

Shapeways is not what I would call "cheap." It's on-demand manufacturing and they're based in NYC and these aren't a high-volume item. It all adds up, but my most expensive model is still way, WAY cheaper than I've ever found a factory police package bezel for.

It takes a while to print them. Usually it's about 10-14 days from the time you order until the time it shows up at your house.

No electronics are included--it's just the bare bezel. The factory 12v receptacles have a fairly complicated design to them so it was far easier to just say "Here, use this readily available ~$5 socket instead." Plus you could opt for the dual-usb version that fits in the same hole for about $8.

Back to good news!

You can search around and find a $10 off coupon for your first Shapeways order. The coupon codes change all the time, but they're always available.

If you've got something special in mind, I can be open to custom designs.

And finally, I just bought some panels out of a 94 XJ, so in the next couple of months I should be able to put 97+ switches in the 84-96 models

Last edited by wizardpc; 04-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

So how much would a 7 switch panel cost? Lol
Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Subscribed! These look awesome!!! I can now stop watching the factory 4 switch panel in ebay for $199 haha!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
So how much would a 7 switch panel cost? Lol
Probably not much more than the 6 switch version
Old 04-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Nice work!

Two questions though:

1. All of the bezels listed say OEM axle lock switches do not fit. How do we get a bezel to fit them like your picture?

2. Have you considered including the holes for carling switches in case our cutting skills aren't very good?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by WillyXJ
Nice work!

Two questions though:

1. All of the bezels listed say OEM axle lock switches do not fit. How do we get a bezel to fit them like your picture?

2. Have you considered including the holes for carling switches in case our cutting skills aren't very good?
1. I should probably go back and add in the descriptions that the axle lock switches shown in that particular picture are modified. A guy (USN_BlackWK) bought some Rubicon axle lock switches and removed the caps, then put them on oem fog light switches in order to make them fit. The explanation (and his absolutely gorgeous build thread) is here, if I get the link right. It's post #76: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post33533978

2. Yes. I even made one, because a 6 switch oem panel gets very expensive very quickly at $18/switch for the aftermarket ones. Unfortunately, the rockers on the carling style switches are too large for the hole in the dash. You'd have to trim the center dash piece. I kind of abandoned it after discovering that.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Man this is awesome. Is there a place to get OEM style switches with either no writing on them, or custom writing? It bums me out to have 6 switches with the defrost logo on them lol. Those carling switches are super nice and I'm sad they don't fit.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Gold Coast Distributing makes them. Well, I'm pretty sure that someone in China makes them, but GCD is the only one that sells them here

You can search for TJ Rocker Switch on ebay and see what they have. They also sell them on Amazon, but it's free shipping on ebay and $5 shipping on Amazon for some reason.

I don't think they make momentary switches (like the defrost switch you mention) so you might be out of luck on that.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Gold Coast Distributing makes them. Well, I'm pretty sure that someone in China makes them, but GCD is the only one that sells them here

You can search for TJ Rocker Switch on ebay and see what they have. They also sell them on Amazon, but it's free shipping on ebay and $5 shipping on Amazon for some reason.

I don't think they make momentary switches (like the defrost switch you mention) so you might be out of luck on that.
They are nice switches, bummer they don't have illumination like oem when the headlights are on, only the only indicator light.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Unfortunately, the rockers on the carling style switches are too large for the hole in the dash. You'd have to trim the center dash piece. I kind of abandoned it after discovering that.
I trimmed and it came OK, used door trim from the parts store to finish it up. I probably trimmed more than needed, but wanted to make sure to clear the Carling rockers. I'll be turning the OEM 3 switch panel into a Carling panel as well so we'll see how it come out. Using the OEM style rockers was out pf the question as this is my buggy build and it won't have doors; open to the elements. The Carling rockers are sealed:
97+ SIX switch bezels (and more)-image-1578842662.jpg

I like you're panels though, for a clean OEM look it doesn't get any better. The prices of those OEM style switches though, yikes!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 PM

Year: 1997 Country
Engine: 4.0 injector upgrade, flexalite fan and radiator, screaming demon ignition, coil wires, header

I'm game....let me know when I can get one, just shoot me a pm
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherokee XJ Ultimate
I'm game....let me know when I can get one, just shoot me a pm
I ordered one a week or so ago and it came in the mail last week
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Just ordered mine today

Order # 1345131

I input my phone number wrong. Last digit is suppose to be 5, not 7. Lol
Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by lo9ik
Just ordered mine today

Order # 1345131

I input my phone number wrong. Last digit is suppose to be 5, not 7. Lol
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98

Honestly - look at JK part prices and these are CHEAP for what they are! And they are made by a fellow CF member so that's even better.

Nice work dude - I am going to buy one of these hopefully this summer. Been wanting a switch panel for a while now!

Quick Reply: [FS] 97+ SIX switch bezels (and more)