Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone Off-road Products 4.5" lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Zone Off-road Products 4.5" lift

Excited for our project with my son's 2000 XJ project....a Zone 4.5" lift. We'll see, but so far Zone seems like a great company. I had a bunch of questions after doing tons of research. Zone seemed to have what I wanted, but I had questions. I emailed the general info email address on their website. My experience is companies SUCK at responding to general interests like that.......but NOT Zone! I got a response in less than 24 hours and the responses were detailed. As an engineer I am thorough and detailed. Kevin Bradshaw responded and did an excellent job with the details. I ordered online that evening and he responded the following day with suggestions on cheaper and quicker shipping and he caught something I missed. Not only that, he pointed out how they tried to structure their kit with a budget in mind and how their design didn't need some stuff I see with other kits........AND he didn't try to do the bull**** "up-sell" to get me to buy something I didn't need. SO REFRESHING! Lastly, he suggested an independent freight company that was cheaper, could ensure higher quality delivery, and quicker......just less than 3 days. It came and we are excited for this weekend's project! If you want a lift, I suggest looking at Zone Off-road Products.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Looks a lot like mine. Been on for 3 years. No real sag. I got the same as in your picture. Won't go wrong with Zone.

Name:  DSC01334.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  100.6 KB
Old 10-24-2015, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For 4 1/2" of lift hope you ordered an SYE also and if going with larger tires you will need gears as well. It's always something did you check the list here for required item for that size lift? Usually when you do gears/larger tires most will install lockers at the same time no extra labor involved.

Some differentials are not worth upgrading like the D35's if you have one of those swap it out for a Chy 8.25 97>, one easy way to tell is if it has ABS brakes of not the D35 did. Also remember the front is a weaker LPD30 and not a HP like used in all the ones up to 99 and has less clearance.

They don't call these things money pits for nothing lol, but if something's aren't done correctly, and in order can cause problems.

Good luck with your project a great way to do things with your son, I did with my son on his XJ also. WELCOME!!
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 PM

I'll try to get better pics later, but after two ****ing weekends of lots of work, the project is finally done. Looks pretty sweet!!! A total lift gain of about 6.5-inches. Zone 4.5-inch lift kit plus 31"x10.5" wheels on 15x7 wheels.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

You could have used a 8" wheel a 7" isn't quite wide enough for air downs off road for traction and ride quality.

I lived in Arvada for some time (11105 Allendale Dr.) and owned several towing company's when I lived in CO., left in 1981 guess its a real mess now so many people.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 11-02-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:55 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You could have used a 8" wheel a 7" isn't quite wide enough for air downs off road for traction and ride quality.

I lived in Arvada for some time (11105 Allendale Dr.) and owned several towing company's when I lived in CO., left in 1981 guess its a real mess now so many people.
I lived in Aurora for 17 years. It wasn't that bad. Left around 6 years ago.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM

This isn't being built as a serious off-road machine. It was done more for looks for my 16-year old son and as a project he and I could do together.

Fred, I am in the western fringe of the "Allendale" neighborhood.....about a mile from that address. In fact, my wife grew up about 2 blocks from there. Small world. We love it here, but it has certainly grown and changed. They tore down the old Arvada West High School and built a brand new one in its place. You wouldn't even recognize it. Houses as far as the eye can see west.......all the way to Highway 93 now. As a kid it was easy to get away for a weekend in the woods.......not to see another person for days sometimes. Now that is almost impossible. Population is supposed to double in like 25-years.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

The XJ looks real good with he lift! What's on the list for the next mod?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 PM

The kid is leaning to a roof rack for spare and gear.......I'm leaning toward front and rear bumper/spare tire carrier. Who knows........
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I'm leaning toward tow points.. He should really get some if he don't already have some.
The Cherokee doesn't have any good places to tow from. Get ones that tie into the frame.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...FRRgfgodPdgGpw

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep...FQZbfgodOyAK5Q

Last edited by Dumajones; 11-02-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Choppersean
This isn't being built as a serious off-road machine. It was done more for looks for my 16-year old son and as a project he and I could do together.

Fred, I am in the western fringe of the "Allendale" neighborhood.....about a mile from that address. In fact, my wife grew up about 2 blocks from there. Small world. We love it here, but it has certainly grown and changed. They tore down the old Arvada West High School and built a brand new one in its place. You wouldn't even recognize it. Houses as far as the eye can see west.......all the way to Highway 93 now. As a kid it was easy to get away for a weekend in the woods.......not to see another person for days sometimes. Now that is almost impossible. Population is supposed to double in like 25-years.

Yes the High School I remember very well I was out at nights a lot with my tow trucks and would get home usually about 4-5am......Then at 6am the Marching Band came in front of my house the first time, then again about 7am. I really loved that it was really big band and they went to school year around out there.

As far as people I knew that was going to happen and one reason I left when I did. Plus housing prices had doubled in just a few years and I owned 2 plus 2 storage lots and made a lot of money on them the Allendale property I paid $38k for and sold 4 yrs later for $86,900.

I hunted all the time out there and took a month off every year to hunt deer, elk and bear and WY after that for Moose and Antelope. Most of the time in remote areas and seeing very few people if any.

Originally Posted by Choppersean
The kid is leaning to a roof rack for spare and gear.......I'm leaning toward front and rear bumper/spare tire carrier. Who knows........

The bumpers are a very good choice as you can get both with excellent tie-in's to frame for recovery points if you buy the bumpers with D-Ring mounts. The front bumper can be bought with the thought of a winch mount for later if desired also. The swing-out rear tire carrier is the way to go over having it in a roof rack a real PITA getting it up and down in snow/ice/mud plus more weight up high.

Originally Posted by Dumajones
I'm leaning toward tow points.. He should really get some if he don't already have some.
The Cherokee doesn't have any good places to tow from. Get ones that tie into the frame.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...FRRgfgodPdgGpw

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep...FQZbfgodOyAK5Q

He would take care of that with the bumpers.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
He would take care of that with the bumpers.
Doh!

Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 AM

I had to get a better picture of the XJ. My son has been driving it all week and he is all smiles all the time!!! In addition to the Zone lift, we just went with mild 31x10.5 tires on MB "Razor" wheels (15x7). It was more of a project than I had expected, but we got through it and are really happy with the outcome!!

Old 11-07-2015, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

It appears to sit lower in the rear or is it just the photo, have you measured it for height on both differentials?
Old 11-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Pic was taken on a hill. Haven't yet measured differential height/clearance.

Quick Reply: Zone Off-road Products 4.5" lift