Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone 4.5" lift kit emergency

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-Cylinder
Default Zone 4.5" lift kit emergency

Hello guys. I'm sure this has been talked about 100 times on here but my 99 jeep xj is in the shop right know having work done to it and I don't have time to search the forum because I need to make decision by tomorrow.

It needs new rear leaf springs no matter what. I've thrown around the idea for awhile to put a lift on and have finally pulled the trigger since it's already in shop and needs leaf spring. so instead of spending a few 100 on them and down the road replacing them I'm just going to do it the right way now.

First off I want a zone 4.5" suspension system w/rear leaf springs. The complete spring not just add a lead. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j23-j24

If I bought this exact kit what else would I need to buy. I'm thinking extended brake lines, but what else. Would you suggest doing sye right now or wait and see how it is. If so what kind.

With any suggestions please leave what brand you suggest as well. I want to do it the right way but don't want to go broke so thanks in advanced for the help.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I would at least buy a rear brake line. I am at a higher lift with factory front and it works but not ideal.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Yea I'm thinking I will need some extended brake lines for sure.

By the way your jeep build thread is spot on.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need a adjustable track bar the best for the money is http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10215.html If you want budget brake lines you can use jeep yj lines they are cheap at any parts store and longer.Will you need a sye the odds are no most don't tell 5 or 5.5 inch lift but some have had to have one at 4.5.On the sye depends your t case but there are a lot of options.Some make you open the t case and change the shaft in it.Or you have the hack and tap kind they don't replace the shaft you cut it off and drill and tap it.That kind could be done with the t case still in the jeep.And to me once you get the lift installed i would think about upgrading the steering.If you want a budget bolt on the jeep zj v8 tie rod ends are a lot thicker and bolt right on.New from a parts place is a little over 100 bucks.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:50 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Look at this:
Zone 4.5" lift kit emergency-nkoc-lift-chart.jpg

To do it right you need a lot more than just the springs, you need the SYE, upgraded steering, brake lines, shocks....

You want to do it right, but don't want to go broke, and the jeep is in the shop now...are you ready to cut loose with the coin to do it right, or just do it right now?

I suggest replacing the leafs with what you need right now, and taking the time to research, and do it right.

It will cost less in the long run.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

You're gonna want shackle relocation brackets too. The Zone springs are super stiff and too short. You'll end up with a 90° shackle angle and it will ride like a dump truck.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

do the sye & cv rear shaft now , you will need it. the front brake lines can be taken loose , bend it down some & reattach it lower, doesnt even need to be taken apart. adj. track bar is needed too. good luck w/ it all.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Hey thanks for all of the help so far guys. I'm thinking about having the shop that it's at do some of the work it needs done like new u joints and valve cover gasket and a flush of the system. Then take it to an off-road shop that does a lot of jeeps and have them do the lift correctly.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 AM

Does anybody know if the zone 4.5 in lift come with upper and lower control arms?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hp_phillips
Does anybody know if the zone 4.5 in lift come with upper and lower control arms?
That kit comes with leafs and extended shackles. I thought it would have true 4.5 inch lift leaf springs. Only comes with fixed lowers. You'll need a few things to add to this kit to make everything right
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Are you mechanically inclined? The work you are talking about the shop doing is pretty simple stuff. If times an issue, I totally understand, but you can take care of u-joints and the valve cover gasket in just a couple hours. If you can do that, you can install a lift too.

I'm with Roninofako. Take your time and do some research. If the leaf springs NEED replacing, just do standard replacements and then sell them when you finally decide on a lift. If they can wait, just replace them with the lift. Follow that chart he posted as well and truly do it right the first time.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 11-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I installed a Rustys 3" lift full leaf coil shocks hardware pkg. and a cheap adj. track bar and ran that for a year while I built up money and parts to finish my 4 1/2" lift. That kit is under $500.

When I went to the 4 1/2" I used the same leafs as many company's do for their 4 1/2 lifts and installed a 1 1/2" Boomerang shackle with an ACOS adj. spacer up front. I can tell you that it cost me around $5k+ to do my 4 1/2" right lots of things needed.

For a few
Tires/Wheels
Gears Lockers
SYE/Driveshaft
Adj U/LCA's
Dbl. Shear Track Bar

The lift kit is the cheapest part of any lift over 3" it all the other things that costs so much.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hp_phillips
Hello guys. I'm sure this has been talked about 100 times on here but my 99 jeep xj is in the shop right know having work done to it and I don't have time to search the forum because I need to make decision by tomorrow.

It needs new rear leaf springs no matter what. I've thrown around the idea for awhile to put a lift on and have finally pulled the trigger since it's already in shop and needs leaf spring. so instead of spending a few 100 on them and down the road replacing them I'm just going to do it the right way now.

First off I want a zone 4.5" suspension system w/rear leaf springs. The complete spring not just add a lead. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j23-j24

If I bought this exact kit what else would I need to buy. I'm thinking extended brake lines, but what else. Would you suggest doing sye right now or wait and see how it is. If so what kind.

With any suggestions please leave what brand you suggest as well. I want to do it the right way but don't want to go broke so thanks in advanced for the help.
That should be pretty full kit. An adjustable track bar or relocation bracket for the front. You can use or not use the t-case drop and should not need the SYE kit, but I would suggest that as a future upgrade either way if you plan on keeping the Jeep and offroading any. Just make sure you have adjustable cam bolts for the lower control arms and you should be good to go. You can always keep upgrading. Use the Jeep and you will know what you need/want quickly.
We carry Zone offroad and can help with your future upgrades.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Are you mechanically inclined? The work you are talking about the shop doing is pretty simple stuff. If times an issue, I totally understand, but you can take care of u-joints and the valve cover gasket in just a couple hours. If you can do that, you can install a lift too.

I'm with Roninofako. Take your time and do some research. If the leaf springs NEED replacing, just do standard replacements and then sell them when you finally decide on a lift. If they can wait, just replace them with the lift. Follow that chart he posted as well and truly do it right the first time.
I'm not really mechanically inclined with cars. I sure wish I was though. I'm a junior in high school and am pretty busy with other things. I would love to be able to do the work with some help of friends and family if need be but my parents most likely won't let me. They will just want a shop to do it so they know it's done the right way, but thanks for the edvice.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by readytomount
That should be pretty full kit. An adjustable track bar or relocation bracket for the front. You can use or not use the t-case drop and should not need the SYE kit, but I would suggest that as a future upgrade either way if you plan on keeping the Jeep and offroading any. Just make sure you have adjustable cam bolts for the lower control arms and you should be good to go. You can always keep upgrading. Use the Jeep and you will know what you need/want quickly.
We carry Zone offroad and can help with your future upgrades.
Sounds good where are you guys out of?