Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZJ Front and Tfer case skids on the XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Lightbulb ZJ Front and Tfer case skids on the XJ

While poking around in the boneyard i actually managed to find some skids on a couple ZJs. I've known you can mod a fuel skid by simply drilling holes, but the other two is a bit harder to figure out.

I think i saw one place where a guy drilled holes in his crossmember and in the skid, then used grade 8s to bolt the two together, and then drilled a hole through the frame rail and ran a self-tapper in to secure the 'trailing end' or whatever you want to call it. Is this the general concensus of modding the transfer skid? Does it offer any protection over the OEM XJ version?

I havent found anything about mounting up a ZJ front skid. Has anyone done this? how involved was the install?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I found a ZJ t case laying on the ground in the JY & had to buy it. I had a buddy throw it on. It has two self tappers or nutserts in the frame & two bolts thru the stock t case X member. Its been thru a lot. Its bent but still bolted on solid. Very surprised its not been ripped off yet.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

well if its been through all that, it sounds like its probably saved the transfer case, which is definitely good. better than not having anything at all there, like i do now.

I tried digging around some more for the front skid, but again, but all i could find was "the front skid is too different" and "that's not true, there are lots of XJs with ZJ front skids on them"
Old 05-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

As much as I hate to potentially waste money, i might end up having to bite the bullet and be the one to attempt to tackle mounting the front skid on an XJ.

for Science!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
As much as I hate to potentially waste money, i might end up having to bite the bullet and be the one to attempt to tackle mounting the front skid on an XJ.

for Science!
Do it!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Hey,don't think it's not appreciated though. LOL!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

DO IT! The ZJs and XJs share a lot of front suspension components. It's got to be close. Worse case, do you have a welding machine? EVERYTHING fits with a good welding machine. Post up some in process pics when you get it on.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I dont have a welder but i know at least two people that do.

I may call over to the JY next week and have them pull it off, if it isnt too much extra. I dont particularly fancy the idea of crawling around underneath a junked ZJ thats just resting on a stack of tires. The fuel skid ZJ isnt on tires but i still dont want to crawl around on it either.

Ive wasted money on bigger lost causes before, i suppose.