Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ Steering box brace help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ Steering box brace help

Well unfortunately my steering box is crapping out yet again. This is the box from a 2002 S10 4x4. For now it'll work, but it's on it's way out. Showing the symptoms of last time, and the same noises getting worse and worse.

SO. My question, I'm looking at these two braces, linked below. Any suggestions on which one? I'm kind of leaning towards the Ironman 4x4 over Boostwerks because it is cheaper (helps, as being in Canada, after exchange and shipping, neither of these options are cheap. Wallets taking an unexpected hit that it didn't need ), and completely bolt on, and blue which is neat The Boostwerks still is damn near bolt on, just minor stuff. It has tow points which is great, but not crucial in my decision, sure is beefy though. Also, will either work with the S10 box? Not sure how different they are, or if at all. Don't have the factory XJ box to compare the two anymore. Any help is appreciated. TIA
(I looked for another forum like this but could not find one in my searching)
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/SBB-SSS.html

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...Brace_p_8.html
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

i think both are overkill & too costly , whats wrong w/ the good ole brace from box to the pass. side frame rail ? along w/ a hd bracket behind the box. seems to be gold standard for ever.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Braces do nothing to increase box life they are to support frame weakness. Box and pump life is extended by never turning wheels when vehicles are stopped.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Braces do nothing to increase box life they are to support frame weakness. Box and pump life is extended by never turning wheels when vehicles are stopped.
The braces don't just support the frame, they support the sector shaft, stopping the forces exerted on the sector shaft and bearings/bushings around it. I believe that is where my issue is.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by srb53150
i think both are overkill & too costly , whats wrong w/ the good ole brace from box to the pass. side frame rail ? along w/ a hd bracket behind the box. seems to be gold standard for ever.
The braces I posted brace the sector shaft, not just the box. As the sector shaft is having all this force put on it, and in tern on the bearings and bushings around it. The brace just to the pass side frame rail to the box is great for stopping actual steering box movement, but doesn't help the sector shaft.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BC.Bryan92xj
The braces don't just support the frame, they support the sector shaft, stopping the forces exerted on the sector shaft and bearings/bushings around it. I believe that is where my issue is.
Im still running factory box running 38 inch tires. Only using frame and box brace. Motivation during turning the trick. I like the new style braces every little bit helps. The support from frame rail to frame rail will deff be a plus also.

Last edited by freegdr; 01-15-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

leave the steering box brace aside for now, like you said it costs a lot and honestly for now it shouldn't been needed

put your money into a new steering box with a couple years of warranty and save the rest.

it's not normal that your steering box is "crapping out yet again". if you get one with a proper warranty you'll simply get it replaced if it has issues
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cane
leave the steering box brace aside for now, like you said it costs a lot and honestly for now it shouldn't been needed

put your money into a new steering box with a couple years of warranty and save the rest.

it's not normal that your steering box is "crapping out yet again". if you get one with a proper warranty you'll simply get it replaced if it has issues
I'll definitely be getting a new steering box regardless, use this for the core charge and get one with a warranty. This one was from a junkyard for $60, back when I had an extremely tight budget haha. Got lucky and it was freshly rebuilt though. But anyhow, I'll take a visit to the parts store for the box (bunch of Jeep guys that are actually knowledgable, it's great), I'm just looking into my options to prevent this from happening again.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Im still running factory box running 38 inch tires. Only using frame and box brace. Motivation during turning the trick. I like the new style braces every little bit helps. The support from frame rail to frame rail will deff be a plus also.
Fair enough! I'm definitely not disagreeing with what you're saying about just using the frame and box brace, I'm sure they are awesome, especially considering you're running 38s lol.
I'm just worried that I'll replace the box again, and the same thing will happen. That's why I'm looking at braces with the sector shaft support, not just the steering box itself, as it's definitely odd the steering box is cooked already.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Our ironman steering brace doesn't fix a worn out box nor does any other brace. Which we seem to agree with. I would get a new box like mentioned.

They are both very stout braces, ironman and boostwerks. However their design is justified for the following reasons.

I can only speak for Ironman since hell im work for them, and boostwerks isn't the same design exactly.

You bracing the sector shaft with a pillow block bearing and isolating the movement and essentially turning it into a double shear setup. Then we use a clamp to grab the box to keep it from moving. If the sector shaft is braced, then the next outlet for the force to escape is the box itself again'st the unibody that is probably pretty tired. So we opt to brace both so you kill 99.9999 percent of potential movement. And then you're bracing the front end. So its a win win win. Price sucks, but thats how it is in this business. Thats also why we offer the non pillow block bearing version.

Boostwerks is awesome, ours is awesome, hell even Kevin's Offroad is awesome for what it is. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BC.Bryan92xj
Fair enough! I'm definitely not disagreeing with what you're saying about just using the frame and box brace, I'm sure they are awesome, especially considering you're running 38s lol.
I'm just worried that I'll replace the box again, and the same thing will happen. That's why I'm looking at braces with the sector shaft support, not just the steering box itself, as it's definitely odd the steering box is cooked already.
Maybe its where box is coming from. Low quality rebuild is just that.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KevinC506
Our ironman steering brace doesn't fix a worn out box nor does any other brace. Which we seem to agree with. I would get a new box like mentioned.

They are both very stout braces, ironman and boostwerks. However their design is justified for the following reasons.

I can only speak for Ironman since hell im work for them, and boostwerks isn't the same design exactly.

You bracing the sector shaft with a pillow block bearing and isolating the movement and essentially turning it into a double shear setup. Then we use a clamp to grab the box to keep it from moving. If the sector shaft is braced, then the next outlet for the force to escape is the box itself again'st the unibody that is probably pretty tired. So we opt to brace both so you kill 99.9999 percent of potential movement. And then you're bracing the front end. So its a win win win. Price sucks, but thats how it is in this business. Thats also why we offer the non pillow block bearing version.

Boostwerks is awesome, ours is awesome, hell even Kevin's Offroad is awesome for what it is. You get what you pay for.
One other thing seems alot of us have or will own more than 1 xj all costly equipment is swappable to next XJ so consider it an investment in future builds.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by KevinC506

Oh I'm definitely getting a new box, not expecting the brace to fix it. Just looking to stop the same thing from happening! Thanks for the reply with the info, exactly what I'm looking for! I have frame tie in brackets that will be going on as well with my bumper build later this year.
As for price, I'm not saying that it's too high of a price, don't get me wrong haha. Just the usual for being in Canada that after exchange and shipping it ends up being quite a bit more, but that's the way she goes!

Would you happen to know if the S10 steering box works with it too? I'd imagine it does as it bolts into the XJ, but just figured I'd ask! I don't have the factory XJ box to check if they're the exact same or not anymore.

I'm thinking that the Ironman 4x4 one is what I'll be going with when the time comes, with the sector shaft pillow bearing. Bracing the front end, sector shaft, and steering box all in one sounds pretty good to me. Give me the peace of mind too.

EDIT: @freedgr, exactly. I'm planning on keeping this XJ as long as I can, and after having done the first 3" lift, to the 4.5" now, I realize that waiting and doing it right the first time is the way to go haha, not doing the build in stages. So I agree, it would be a good investment really!

Last edited by BC.Bryan92xj; 01-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

What brand box you been getting..A-1 Cardone stay clear of.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:50 PM

What brand box you been getting..A-1 Cardone stay clear of.
I'll take note of that! I'm going to go to the parts store and see what my options are through there. I'm not sure whether to go S10 or XJ if I plan to get the Ironman 4x4 brace. XJ should in theory hold up fine with that I'd suppose?