Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ body transplant

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header
Default XJ body transplant

So my current XJ body is pretty beat up (I'm a much better driver now then when I started) and I've been thinking about replacing it. I have thought about buying one with a blown motor on CL then tearing it all down and transferring EVERYTHING from my rig to the new body. Sounds like lots of work right? My other idea is to buy a body from a junk yard. In hopes they will remove all the items I don't want or at least most of the items will be already gone if I have to do it myself.

What do you guys think? Anybody venture down this road before?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I would go for the blown motor approach leaves a lot of extra parts when done .
Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Parts removed in a junkyard are generally not taken out gently...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by XJPat
Parts removed in a junkyard are generally not taken out gently...
Got that right ....
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I've burned through a few XJ's. always nice to have spare parts. but if you're going through the trouble and taking up the space to own 2 jeeps at once, you better be going through and rebuilding everything you can

don't replace, upgrade

another idea would be buying a jeep with a good solid drive train and body, then swapping over all axle parts etc. then putting axles and stock tires under you beat up XJ and see what it goes for on CL or see what the scrap yard will take for it. I know they wont take it if it's on jack stands, at least not in CA. make sure you'll be able to dispose of the body easily
Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

Yeah. I have pretty much everything upgraded already so I really have no need for more stock parts. I was hoping I could find an XJ at a yard and have them pull the major parts like engine, Trans, and suspension. That way I'd only have to pay for the body which I'm guessing would be around $100. So if that happened as planned i would save money and time. I just really don't need a bunch of stock parts and surely am not excited about taking one rig all apart to just put it all back together.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Atmos
I've burned through a few XJ's. always nice to have spare parts. but if you're going through the trouble and taking up the space to own 2 jeeps at once, you better be going through and rebuilding everything you can don't replace, upgrade another idea would be buying a jeep with a good solid drive train and body, then swapping over all axle parts etc. then putting axles and stock tires under you beat up XJ and see what it goes for on CL or see what the scrap yard will take for it. I know they wont take it if it's on jack stands, at least not in CA. make sure you'll be able to dispose of the body easily
Dispose of the body? I hope u r talking about the vehicle lol
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by freegdr
I would go for the blown motor approach leaves a lot of extra parts when done .
Big +1 here
Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If your hoping to find a body for $100 give it up they scrap for more than that anywhere. No salvage yard would ever do it either as they crush all their scrap or sell a complete car, they make money selling parts off them drivetrain and most of all "Body Parts" and for the XJ's they are in demand.

Your best bet is CL and a complete XJ even a wrecked one with minor damage or bad engine/trans/transfer case in my area one like that can be bought for $4-500 if all else is good.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

And with the junkyard it might be hard to get a title for it.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Dispose of the body? I hope u r talking about the vehicle lol
Not true in my high school auto shop they would drag out the stopped body's of cars and take them right to the shredder for us after we stripped them. I've also had a few trucks taken by the local junkyard with out axles wheels body's or frames in all different orders I'm in San Diego
Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris smith
Not true in my high school auto shop they would drag out the stopped body's of cars and take them right to the shredder for us after we stripped them. I've also had a few trucks taken by the local junkyard with out axles wheels body's or frames in all different orders I'm in San Diego
It was sarcasm intended for atmos.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If your hoping to find a body for $100 give it up they scrap for more than that anywhere. No salvage yard would ever do it either as they crush all their scrap or sell a complete car, they make money selling parts off them drivetrain and most of all "Body Parts" and for the XJ's they are in demand.

Your best bet is CL and a complete XJ even a wrecked one with minor damage or bad engine/trans/transfer case in my area one like that can be bought for $4-500 if all else is good.

not compleatly impossible extraemly hard but not impossible.i found an MJ for 200 needs a motor and there is an xj being sold on craiglist for 250.00 rights now and it is a full rolling chasis.
http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/4234296971.html
a lot of times people just want them out of their property.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Kris smith
I've also had a few trucks taken by the local junkyard with out axles wheels body's or frames in all different orders I'm in San Diego
really? they took a chassis without wheels or axles? what junk yard. I called everywhere Sacramento local and no one would take my jeep. had to finally call a specialty jeep yard and they said they'd take it but they wouldn't give me any money
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by angel1168
not compleatly impossible extraemly hard but not impossible.i found an MJ for 200 needs a motor and there is an xj being sold on craiglist for 250.00 rights now and it is a full rolling chasis.
http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/4234296971.html
a lot of times people just want them out of their property.
That's 2 1/2 times what he thought $250 is scrap on one just like I said and the devil is in the details as in your link it depends on condition, condition, condition.

Quick Reply: XJ body transplant