Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WJ LCA not fitting at all?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default WJ LCA not fitting at all?

Hello. I installed a 2" lift and went from 225/70r16 to 245/75r16 still with factory icon's. I did not want to lose much turning radius so I purchased new WJ lower control arms with the bend in them. I cut down the bolt sleeves almost perfectly and the drivers side went in and function well, (still a minor rub at full lock, will be resolved by welding a bit on the steering stop bolt).

The problem is on the passenger side. When I go to put the oblong end of the LCA onto the unibody just as I did with the drivers side, it will physically not fit. The metal above the bushing on the LCA is making contact with the top of the LCA housing. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to take a picture of it at the moment but you can get an idea if you look at this picture almost at the end of this page, http://comancheclub.com/topic/1484-p...m-the-factory/

I was afraid to cut off some metal due to the integrity of the LCA, but am more comfortable after seeing someone else do it. But I'm still very curious as to why I would need to in the first place. The driver's side went in with no effort and functions great. Passenger side bolt hole is off by 1/4-1/2 inch due to the metal hitting against the body. Both LCA's look identical and the xj has never been in any accident that would cause damage to that area. I don't know if it could be related but with the factory setup I would rub the LCA on the driver side with 225/70 which I could never identify the cause (although I don't think that has any effect on this).

I will be tackling this again sometime soon and will try the drivers side LCA on the passengers, and taking pictures as well. I've only seen 2 other posts about this issue with no resolution. This seems to be a fairly common and straightforward mod. I may end up just cutting a lot of metal off the LCA to force it to work if there is even enough metal to allow for that.

Thanks for any insight, -Devin
Old 11-11-2016, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need to cut and weld the upper portion of the axle end of the LCA mount.

You'll also need to trim the top/end of the LCA at the axle end.

Mine fit.

Also, a 245 should not be rubbing, something is wrong there.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Axle off center from lifting causing rub..
Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dfread
(still a minor rub at full lock, will be resolved by welding a bit on the steering stop bolt).
That steering stop bolt has a nut tack welded to it. To adjust, remove bolt and install washer behind nut.