Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a 97-98 grand cherokee motor work in a 96xj

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default will a 97-98 grand cherokee motor work in a 96xj

I blew my motor up and I picked up a motor from a guy when I looked at the fan I realized it was a 97-98 grand Cherokee motor so will it work in a 96 xj and if it does what do I have to change. And if it don't what can I use off of it.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

If it's a 4L then it'll work. You have to swap all your accessories and motor mounts.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

^^^ x 2.

I just did it. No sweat. The water pump is different - get a new XJ pump to replace the ZJ pump. All your XJ bracketry (alternator/AC compressor, PS pump, etc) just swaps onto the ZJ engine no problem, it all fits.
I think the oil pressure sender is different (even though it looks identical) - the one from the ZJ engine just pegged my gauge until I swapped my old XJ sender back in.
There is a temperature sender you need to take from the XJ engine, and install in place of a plug at the back left of the head. (my donor was a '96 ZJ, maybe the 97/98 ZJ has this sender, I don't know). It's a lot easier to change it with the engine out.
The electrical connectors were all different - I used my old intake manifold complete, also needed to swap the camshaft position sensor (in the distributor) and the coil. Remove the crankshaft position sensor before you pull the engine, it's too easy to mangle it if you don't.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM

thanks for the info. the engine is out and the temp sensor there is no spot for it on the grand motor the head is flush. Where it should go and if i swap the disturbers will the solve the crank shaft sensor and isn't the cam shaft on the trans?

Originally Posted by the_big_h
^^^ x 2.

I just did it. No sweat. The water pump is different - get a new XJ pump to replace the ZJ pump. All your XJ bracketry (alternator/AC compressor, PS pump, etc) just swaps onto the ZJ engine no problem, it all fits.
I think the oil pressure sender is different (even though it looks identical) - the one from the ZJ engine just pegged my gauge until I swapped my old XJ sender back in.
There is a temperature sender you need to take from the XJ engine, and install in place of a plug at the back left of the head. (my donor was a '96 ZJ, maybe the 97/98 ZJ has this sender, I don't know). It's a lot easier to change it with the engine out.
The electrical connectors were all different - I used my old intake manifold complete, also needed to swap the camshaft position sensor (in the distributor) and the coil. Remove the crankshaft position sensor before you pull the engine, it's too easy to mangle it if you don't.