Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you keep in your rig when you go wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What do you keep in your rig when you go wheeling?

I've got an 01 xj w/ 5.5 rc superflex lift, 8.8 ls rear w/ 4:10's, an mj front axle w/ 4:10's, 33" bfg's on 17" moabs, zj steering upgrade, neon injectors, durango gear box, and a few other little mods. My question is what kind of tools, spare parts, and trail gear should i keep in my rig for a serious day of wheeling? I am thinking about plumbing air lines to both the front and back so i can air back up easily after a trail run, or run small pneumatic tools, i have a compressor im thinking about mounting in the back. I know its just a matter of time before i start breaking stuff because my rig is becoming alot more trail capable than it ever was before. So what do ya guys think, can you help a brother out?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

I remember a couple of threads on this already....but spare ujoints, water, gear oil, engine oil, some kind of food and recovery gear, spare tire, jack, possibly blanket depending on area of play, change of cloths, first aid kit, and a complete tool kit. You can never take to much stuff. My word of advise is if you think of it you probably should take it. Always wheel with someone or at least give someone the place your gonna be and the estimated arrival time back home. All thestuff listed sounds like a lot but I can fit all of it in the back of my rig or in the factory storage areas and still have enough room for the dogs. I know I forgot some stuff and every vehicle is built different and is in different levels of disrepair so your list will vary.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I really don't take that much with me when I go wheeling. I check out my rig after every wheeling trip, and if anything looks bad I replace it.
I bring what tools I need to do the repairs I would do on a trail ride, I wouldn't replace an engine or a transmission so I don't carry the tools to do it. I do care tools to do an axle shaft swap, change a engine belt, replace a u joint, tighten various bolts, and fix a tire.
I carry some extra fluids, but not enough for an oil change, or transmission flush, just a quart of each and of course some JB 80. I also carry zip ties, some electrical connectors and black friction tape.
I carry enough recovery gear to get me out of almost anything I run into on the trail.
A winch with 100' of synthetic rope, two 30' recovery straps, a 12' and a 6' tree strap, plus a ****** block and four 3/4" clevises
Water and snacks in case the day turns out to be longer than I thought it would be.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 4dr Sport
Engine: 4.0 I6

Everything thats normally in it. except for sometimes i take the dogs or my mosin.

Last edited by BuckH; 02-17-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: left out a word