Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding Down a Winch...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Welding Down a Winch...?

Ok so ive been beefing up the whole front end, plating, gusseting, welding, & doing whatever ideas i think will make my winch bumper stronger. Then today i go to install the winch & the winch is only bolted on with these 4 bolts seen here...

Now i already knew it only mounts with 4 bolts, but i was expecting big beefy grade 8 bolts & not these that have an 8.8 on them seen here...

So as the topic says, can i weld the base of the winch onto the bumper??
(oh & sorry for the upside down pics)

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 12-16-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

just bolt them on they'll be fine no need to weld winch to bumper .
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
just bolt them on they'll be fine no need to weld winch to bumper .
Ok, so even if theres no need, can i still do so, & should i replace those bolts with grade 8's?? Overkill gives me piece of mind so thats where im coming from.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Grade 8 (metric 10.9) is a very good idea.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Question

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Grade 8 (metric 10.9) is a very good idea.
Will do.

So back to the question at hand, can i weld the winch on???
Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

You should have it tack welded in a few spots for theft prevention
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by opie1988
You should have it tack welded in a few spots for theft prevention
I was thinking of 3/4 passes on all four legs, but thats if i can get my nozzle in there!!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say no.
You may weaken the winch body and have it come apart on ya.

Check with the winch manufacturer to get the final word.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Don't weld the winch on, I operate a 45 Ton wrecker with twin 35,000 lb winches. The rig you see in my sig... The winches are bolted down with grade 9, or you could go out and get 12.9 grade metric bolts. The key is thread pitch and count. You want fine thread bolts because that leaves more threads in the lock nut for strength and I would recommend that you use nylon locking nuts and not "lock ring" style lock washers. Those lock ring washers allow for over tightening which causes them to break under load and then you have loose hardware.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
Ok so ive been beefing up the whole front end, plating, gusseting, welding, & doing whatever ideas i think will make my winch bumper stronger. Then today i go to install the winch & the winch is only bolted on with these 4 bolts seen here...

Now i already knew it only mounts with 4 bolts, but i was expecting big beefy grade 8 bolts & not these that have an 8.8 on them seen here...

So as the topic says, can i weld the base of the winch onto the bumper??
(oh & sorry for the upside down pics)
I broke those bolts once on my old YJ. Two bolts on one side broke and the winch broke in half. So yeah, those bolts should be upgraded. As far as welding I have no idea.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Willys55
Don't weld the winch on, I operate a 45 Ton wrecker with twin 35,000 lb winches. The rig you see in my sig... The winches are bolted down with grade 9, or you could go out and get 12.9 grade metric bolts. The key is thread pitch and count. You want fine thread bolts because that leaves more threads in the lock nut for strength and I would recommend that you use nylon locking nuts and not "lock ring" style lock washers. Those lock ring washers allow for over tightening which causes them to break under load and then you have loose hardware.
Well the manufacturer provided the bolts & those lock washers & as far as alotta other replies go, they say to keep & use the bolts provided. (i have a thread on another board also). I would personally think to get grade 8's but someone informed me that the 8.8 on the bolt head stands for the metric version of grade 8 hardware.

Idk...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Feel free to step up to stronger hardware.
As for welding the winch on I highly suggest you DO NOT! At some point in the future you will want to remove it. Weather for servicing or cleaning or who knows why.... You will cuss yourself silly when you remember you welded it on. If your worried about security... I can understand that. Instead of welding the entire thing to the plate, choose one easily accesses bolt head and apply a couple good tacks to it. It will keep your average douche bag thief from walking away with it but still allow you to remove it in the future without realizing how big a mistake it was welding it all the way on. The upgraded bolts will suffice fine.. if anything you will break the winch before you break the 12.9s or whatever you go with. Also make sure the mount and bumper are tied in really well. Kinda embarrassing to do a heavy pull thinking your mount is tanker tough only to watch your entire bumper sail away.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
Well the manufacturer provided the bolts & those lock washers & as far as alotta other replies go, they say to keep & use the bolts provided. (i have a thread on another board also). I would personally think to get grade 8's but someone informed me that the 8.8 on the bolt head stands for the metric version of grade 8 hardware.

Idk...
and I gave you my professional opinion based on 30 years of winching crap alot bigger than an XJ up cliff sides and out of rivers and ravines...............the Manufacturer provided hardware based on engineered testing of that winch under "laboratory" conditions that "never" match real world. I would also point out that the hardware was more than likely made in China.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Willys55
and I gave you my professional opinion based on 30 years of winching crap alot bigger than an XJ up cliff sides and out of rivers and ravines...............the Manufacturer provided hardware based on engineered testing of that winch under "laboratory" conditions that "never" match real world. I would also point out that the hardware was more than likely made in China.
Oh dont get me wrong as ill seek out the strongest bolts i can get my hands on. I was merely repeating what a few others have said to me. You open a thread & one guy says hes been using the stock harware with zero issues, & then u get the dude in the TJ who sheered off 2 bolts!!!

So where would i find these grade 9 or 12.9 metric bolts u speak of???

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 12-16-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

12.9 is the metric bolt. Any good hardware store should carry them. Another suggestion would be going to an industrial store. Around here, there are quite a few paper mills. The possible advantage to this would be the that the quality of the hardware may be better than a "big box" hardware store.

Quick Reply: Welding Down a Winch...?