Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welded ford 8.8 Replacement ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Welded ford 8.8 Replacement ideas

Hi All,
I've got a new to me 98 xj with a fully locked (welded) ford 8.8. I'm looking for options on what I can replace it with that would be a little more daily driver friendly. Any ideas you have would be most helpful. My thoughts are possibly an Eaton electric locker, Explorer limited slip (don't know if that would replace the parts I need) or others....
I'm just trying to come up the learning curve on the xj. There a bunch of info on here i've found, but some of it is still over my head.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located? Have you ever done anything related to gears and such? If not, this would either be a great learning experience or a total disaster. You'll have to replace the spiders and possibly the carrier. You could just get a complete rear out of a salvage yard and swap it in.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by V8XJDavid
Where are you located? Have you ever done anything related to gears and such? If not, this would either be a great learning experience or a total disaster. You'll have to replace the spiders and possibly the carrier. You could just get a complete rear out of a salvage yard and swap it in.
I'm in Colorado
I've never done anything with gears as of yet, but mechanically I'm ok as long as I can fully research it and know I have all the right tools. I prefer not to swap out the complete rear, because it has 4.56 gears installed right now front and rear. I would like to keep those if possible. Currently I need to explore some ideas once I can narrow down a direction, then start some research on how it's best to go about it.

Here's some more info on the xj
1998 AW4 Automatic
242 transfer case
4.5" lift
32" Tires
Rear end: Ford 8.8 fully locked (welded), 4.56 gears
Front end: Stock w/ Chromoly axles, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

you cannot just swap an 8.8 out, lol. They aren't bolt in. but yeah, you need to swap out your carrier assembly. Should cost the same as a regear. If you haven't done one before, I would suggest bringing in someone with some experience to walk you through it... or taking the rear end to a shop to have it done. In a perfect world you could swap out the carrier, spider gears and have an ARB selectable air locker installed... but that all depends on what's in your budget. Don't ditch that 8.8 though. unless you want to sell it to me Seriously though, I'd go the ARB route since you already have one in the front.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
you cannot just swap an 8.8 out, lol. They aren't bolt in. but yeah, you need to swap out your carrier assembly. Should cost the same as a regear. If you haven't done one before, I would suggest bringing in someone with some experience to walk you through it... or taking the rear end to a shop to have it done. In a perfect world you could swap out the carrier, spider gears and have an ARB selectable air locker installed... but that all depends on what's in your budget. Don't ditch that 8.8 though. unless you want to sell it to me Seriously though, I'd go the ARB route since you already have one in the front.
Thanks for the direction, I appreciate it. I will start off in that direction. Matching up an ARB with the one in the front sounds like the way to go to me as well. I just wanted to get a feel for how much other equipment would be needed.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by clvnmcd
Thanks for the direction, I appreciate it. I will start off in that direction. Matching up an ARB with the one in the front sounds like the way to go to me as well. I just wanted to get a feel for how much other equipment would be needed.
if you buy yourself a full case locker (which i recommend, especially in an 8.8) a full gear setup does not have to be done to replace the welded carrier, but adjustments to have to be done.. it isnt bolt in by any means. and since the axle is a c-clip axle, it may take some time getting it all apart.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eaton E-Locker FTW!!

Got 'em in both axles, been there since 2008 without any issues at all.

Got 'em on the site and freight is free.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM

What is everyone's thoughts on:
Eaton True Trac: $450
Detroit Locker: $670
Eaton E Locker: $760

I want something that will provide extra traction while offroad (mild to moderate offroading) and work along side the ARB in the front diff. But I don't want it driving me crazy like the Welded Rear diff is doing right now and I don't want to use up tires like toilet paper.
Thanks Again for all the help and suggestions.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Same as before....E-Locker FTW.

100% open diff until you turn it on.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Out of those 3, I'd have to agree with serious, definately eaton e-locker. I still say if it were me though, the ARB. You've already got a compressor.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM

Engine: 4.0

if u dont realy have the money the detroit locker isnt noticable at all if u ask me..
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Keep in mind that ARB has already jacked their prices up by $100 or more across their entire locker line this month.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

I'm poor so I don't check prices much until it comes time I can start looking at em... lol. My next project is actually a ford 8.8 swap. Lockers are expensive period unless you go with a lunchbox.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
I'm poor so I don't check prices much until it comes time I can start looking at em... lol. My next project is actually a ford 8.8 swap. Lockers are expensive period unless you go with a lunchbox.
What's the downside of a lunchbox locker?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

The Ford 8.8 is a great rear axle, but some say it has a weak carrier, so a full case locker would be much better than a lunch box for the 8.8, especially with the expense of the [ if needed ] carrier replacement because of the Lincoln locked rear.

Quick Reply: Welded ford 8.8 Replacement ideas