Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to lift my 93 Cherokee 3" and put mud tires on it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Want to lift my 93 Cherokee 3" and put mud tires on it.

So I got my 1993 Cherokee Sport running and too my surprise it was fairly cheap and left me with a handsome some of money left over. I had two options with the spare cash, a decent sound system, or lifting it and putting some mud tires on it. I've gone with the second option, but I am 17 and completely new to Jeeps/cars in general pretty much. I was wondering what a good lift kit is and what a good set of tires/rims would be. Nothing too expensive, but not the cheapest on the market would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions? This will be a DIY project too. Maybe if it's not TO costly I can put a stereo in.

Links/tips anything is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

About the cheapest you are going to get by buying a kit and tires.

Tires 6-800 new.. best to find a used set.
Lift 3-600ish.

I run a Rubicon Express 3.5 kit, which gave me about 4 1/4 now that its settled, but you would need to buy other components other than what a basic 3" lift from say Rough Country comes with. I have about 800 in my lift alone.

Whats the condition of your rear leafs.. if sagging at all, you need to get new leaf packs. which is going to put you at 509 for the cheapest 3" lift and 655 I think for the series 2 RC kit.

links

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html

some will probably also suggest Rustys products too.

Or you can talk to FrankZ on here which is who I purchased my RE stuff from. Great guy to deal with.

A link to a RE kit.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=86097

thats the AAL kit.. you will need shocks, probably a TC drop too. and extend the front brake lines. I got shocks from RC for 130ish. brake line relocating brackets from RC for $13, TC drop from serious around $20.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=86098

Thats the full leaf setup. same thing with shocks, drop and brake line brackets.

But those kits are probably more than you want to spend. 600 for the full leafs without shocks.. add the other and you got close to 800 in it. or a bit more after shipping.

nice to know a budget you got to work with.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

You could lift it 3in with a kit like RC or Zone for about $300 and call it a day. They have everything you need, you will not need to buy a single extra piece. I know because thats what i did with my first xj. With a 3 in lift you could run 31x10.5 tires with no major issues and 33s if you are not scared to introduse a sawzall to your jeeps fenders. The problem is that as soon as you install the 3in you are going to regret it and want to go bigger so plan accordingly.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Go with a 3 inch rc or rustys with new packs. You can later add a spacer and shackle and go to 5 easy. 3 inch rustys comes with shocks coils, new leafs, new arms, brake line extensions, and a few other goodies. Great deal.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

since your only 17, id start small with just a 3" basic lift, like the RC one that can be had for around 250, no other parts needed. from there, some basic alloy rims, ie american racing outlaws and other similar rims run like 70-90$ a shot, and either 30x9.5 or 31x10.5.....price depends on what brand/pattern. expect to pay around 130-170 a tire.
If you want to go the other way with the sound system, since they sound awesome in xj's, id reccomend blaupunkt audio equipment....its a little pricier, but lasts forever, has awesome customer service, and it just sounds better.

my current setup w/ the 3" springs and then 1" spacers all around with the 31 ATM's does very well offroad and onroad. the sounds system i have in it bumps pretty good too, but its just mix and match speakers but my buddy has a blaupunkt setup and it is noticably better
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

3" lift with Full pack for about 550 and for brand new tires about 900 INCLUDING installation(31-33 size). And wheels all 4 bout 200 new( get big backspacing).
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Shop used and piece something together I would try and get something with adjustable control arms so when you go to lift more all you have to do is adjust them vs buy more parts. The fs section on here normally has some good deals check craigslist as well. Tire wise take a look at jegs brand steelies for under 60 a rim and treadwright for tires.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll look through all the options you mentioned. Hopefully I can post some pictures when it's all said and done.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Year: 1990

rough country makes a descent 3 in lift for the money.

but my .02 , u mite regret just 3 in. i now any taller then extra exspense comes in with a slip yoke eliminator kit and drive shaft, but 6.5 in is were its at, then can run 33 in tires easy, my .02
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjjs90
rough country makes a descent 3 in lift for the money.

but my .02 , u mite regret just 3 in. i now any taller then extra exspense comes in with a slip yoke eliminator kit and drive shaft, but 6.5 in is were its at, then can run 33 in tires easy, my .02

2 totally different things in a 3" vs a 6"+....$300 vs $1200+ and time and labor to install everything with a big lift, its better to wet ur feet than jump in head first
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 PM

http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=670H

Does that seem like it would be good enough for now?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Snozzberries
http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=670H

Does that seem like it would be good enough for now?
thats a lift me and several other guys i wheel with run, aal only works tho if your current springs are in okay shape tho.
i now have extended shackles and spacers upfrnt giving me around 4-4.5" and i have way less money in that most other guys at that height. with proper bumpstopping, so easy to do, or some trimming, you can fit bigger tires than 31's too

EDIT: heres that lift with 31's and nothing else done to it on the trails....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by War Eagle
EDIT: heres that lift with 31's and nothing else done to it on the trails....

That's a good video to give me a reference of what mine will look like. Exact color and trim. Thanks, Looks like I'll talk to my step dad about purchasing that ASAP and getting the tires next weekend. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Snozzberries
That's a good video to give me a reference of what mine will look like. Exact color and trim. Thanks, Looks like I'll talk to my step dad about purchasing that ASAP and getting the tires next weekend. Thanks for all the help.
yep it looks good, but id highly reccomend lengthening bumpstops to avoid crushing ur quarter panels as i did. i pounded them out, but the drivers side still has a small kink in it. i just slid hockey pucks in the coil in the front and epoxied/superglued them and welded channel on the factory rear bumpstop...really helps to limit flex
oh and im 19 and put that lift on with my dad with just general automotive tools....took about 7 hours due to broken rear shock mount bolts, im not sure how much a shop would charge for installation
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by War Eagle
yep it looks good, but id highly reccomend lengthening bumpstops to avoid crushing ur quarter panels as i did. i pounded them out, but the drivers side still has a small kink in it. i just slid hockey pucks in the coil in the front and epoxied/superglued them and welded channel on the factory rear bumpstop...really helps to limit flex
oh and im 19 and put that lift on with my dad with just general automotive tools....took about 7 hours due to broken rear shock mount bolts, im not sure how much a shop would charge for installation
7 hours is reasonable for a weekend project. I'll probably be doing it all myself with some help from my step dad, Will give me some experience over having a shop installing it.

Will probably do the same when I can afford a decent sound system too.

Quick Reply: Want to lift my 93 Cherokee 3" and put mud tires on it.