Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wandering xj

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default wandering xj

This is my first post and i would like you guys opinions on a problem. My xj is lifted 7.5 inches on 35's with 4.56 gears and a rubicon express 5.5 inch extreme flex lift kit with 2 inch spacers and a 2 inch add a leaf. All control arms, trackbar bushings are tight, upper and lower ball joints are new, just added one ton steering from seriousoffroad, had an alignment and ended up with 5 to 6 degrees of castor but it still wants to wander a little..the steering box is leaking fluid around the the pitman arm shaft could this be my wandering problem?? any ideas are greatly appreciated..

Last edited by Exocaged xj; 04-27-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country

Originally Posted by Exocaged xj
This is my first post and i would like you guys opinions on a problem. My xj is lifted 7.5 inches on 35's with 4.56 gears and a rubicon express 5.5 inch extreme flex lift kit with 2 inch spacers and a 2 inch add a leaf. All control arms, trackbar bushings are tight, upper and lower ball joints are new, just added one ton steering from seriousoffroad, had an alignment and ended up with 5 to 6 degrees of castor but it still wants to wander a little..the steering box is leaking fluid around the the pitman arm shaft could this be my wandering problem?? any ideas are greatly appreciated..
Wish I had an answer for ya but.......
Mine is lifted 6" on 33's w/4.88's and Yukon lockers front and rear. I have the same problem. I've replaced Balljoints, Tierod ends ( serious off road 1" kit)
Steering stabilizer , and welded and drilled a new axle mount for the adjustable trac bar.
My steering box was sloppy and leaking and i figured maybe that was the problem. Replaced the steering box and the steering does feel tighter but it still wanders.
Only thing I have left to check is toe in, tire pressure with the yukon lockers and seeing if maybe I need to tighten up the UCA and LCA bushings abit.
I'm at a loss as to why it is wandering at the moment. Seems to wander more on rutted ,grooved highway way more than it does on a nice flat highway.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Look up tram lining or tramming. Tire pressure is the main culprit.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Look up tram lining or tramming. Tire pressure is the main culprit.
Reading up on it now! ( googled tram lining. Tramming just showed cable cars)
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why did you drill a new hole for the trackbar ?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Why did you drill a new hole for the trackbar ?
The hole in the factory axle side mount for the trackbar was wallowed out.
I took a piece of 1/8" plate and drilled a new correct size hole in it then welded the plate to the outside of the factory mount. No more slop in the tracbar !
Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i had a wandering issue twice on my big xj. lifted with 8 inch coils and rubicon express leafs with blocks and shackles.

first time was my steering box/frame mount. my frame was cracking around the bolt heads for the steering box. had my buddy at staangs fab beef it up with his world class brace they make specifically for xj's. made a huge difference. cleared it right up.

second time was my bias ply tires. they were getting worn. when the road was grooved, like when construction scrapes the top off, it was hard to keep it tracking straight. swapped out the tires and that was it.

so, maybe check your frame mount for your steering box, and maybe borrow tires from somebody to see if that might be the problem.

good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I agree with caged look at where the steering box is bolted to the frame for cracks between the bolts that hold it. If it has cracked get someone good with a welder to weld it up for you (heat is an issue doing this) then add a plate and brace to the steering gear box to stop the flex.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I agree with caged look at where the steering box is bolted to the frame for cracks between the bolts that hold it. If it has cracked get someone good with a welder to weld it up for you (heat is an issue doing this) then add a plate and brace to the steering gear box to stop the flex.
Didn't see any cracks in the frame when I had the steering box out.
I'm already running the plate brace on the outside of the frame that ties into my front bumper. I'm waiting on a JCR steering box spacer (should be here tomorrow) I'll check for cracks again when I put it on.
Whatever the issue is, it wasn't there when I first lifted and replaced all the steering components.( April) Whatever the problem is, it's steadily getting worse. The tires are almost brand new with about 1500 miles on them.
I checked air pressure this morning and they were all within 1lb.
Aired everything to an even 28psi.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I'm at 6.5" on 15x12.5x35 bias plies. I've got about 5 degrees of castor (enough that before I dropped some pucks into it, I used to crush the bottom corner of my windshield washer reservoir!) If the tires are cold they wander ALL over the place. Once they warm up they aren't too bad, but you will definitely notice if the road has grooves in it. Big tires just LOVE to catch in the grooves.

The other culprit is toe out, though I doubt this is the case, as you said you just had an alignment done. If you come off the trail and have hit something to toe you out, it will wander all over the place.

The only solution I've heard of is to go hydro, either assist or full; everyone I know big tires who have gone hydro say the tramlining is gone, and they will never go back.

Last edited by thebyus; 12-06-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by thebyus
I'm at 6.5" on 15x12.5x35 bias plies. I've got about 5 degrees of castor (enough that before I dropped some pucks into it, I used to crush the bottom corner of my windshield washer reservoir!) If the tires are cold they wander ALL over the place. Once they warm up they aren't too bad, but you will definitely notice if the road has grooves in it. Big tires just LOVE to catch in the grooves.

The other culprit is toe out, though I doubt this is the case, as you said you just had an alignment done. If you come off the trail and have hit something to toe you out, it will wander all over the place.

The only solution I've heard of is to go hydro, either assist or full; everyone I know on big tires who has gone hydro says the tramlining is gone, and they will never go back.
Gonna check for toe out this Sunday. I had it set at 1/8" in before I took it to get an alignment and it was perfect. Didn't really check it after the alignment so that may be the issue. My front pinion angle is about perfect. Anymore caster and I get binding in the the front driveline u-joint at the pinion.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

If it is the alignment and you have it done again and all is good go home using guide on this forum measure with a tape measure and write the numbers down for a quick ref. that you can do yourself easily if it's out again.

My XJ has never been to a shop only a home done one.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If it is the alignment and you have it done again and all is good go home using guide on this forum measure with a tape measure and write the numbers down for a quick ref. that you can do yourself easily if it's out again.

My XJ has never been to a shop only a home done one.
Checked toe in today. Alignment shop had set it back to zero.
I used the straight edge strapped to the outside of the tire method.
I added 1/8" toe in.
Also pulled the steering box again to bolt in the JCR spacer. No cracks anywhere in the frame. Gonna test drive tomorrow.
Welded on some JCR LCA skids while I was under the front also. I dropped both LCA and the bushing were still nice and tight.

Last edited by Force; 10-09-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:18 AM
LSK

I had my track bar, drag link, shock bushings, and LCA bushings replaced and it drove better, but still not perfect. Turns out the main culprit was not owning a jeep for 8 years and daily driving an S60R. haha
Old 10-11-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89 cherokee pioneer
Engine: 4:0

Check the u joints on the steering shaft as they can wear and get sloppy,mine has 301,000 miles and they have slack causing mine to wander a bit

Quick Reply: wandering xj