Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper shock bolt replacement brackets

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L Stroker
Default Upper shock bolt replacement brackets

Has anyone ever used these? They seem like a great idea. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them. Any drawbacks? Here is a link to someone selling them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE...6eb7ff&vxp=mtr
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Screw it. I bought them.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I made my own out of 3/4" x 1" steel stock drill tap bolt to shock hold in place tack remove shock and weld. the brackets are nice, how do they attach to the body?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Year: 1994

doing my 4.5" Rc lift i had to replaced the rear shocks. sprayed em with wd40 and the all snapped off, so i cut my carpet back, and used a hole cutter in the floor right above the bolts. drilled out the old ones, put new heavy'r bolts in and then plugged the holes in my rear floor and layed the carpet back down. it was a quick easy fix and works great
also if i ever need to replace the shocks again just pop out the caps and bam there the bolts are
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

That was my next plan. I just didn't really want to cut a hole in my floor.

It says they bolt through existing holes on the frame rail. I'll give a review when I get them and install them.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Year: 1994

they probably do, i just didnt have the time or money to buy shock mounts, floor will be bedlined anyways so whats it matter? lol
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Not going to cut my floor board and add a place to leak! Yeah I read they mount to holes in body and then they recommend welding. The pieces I made were basically 1''x1.5''x3/4'' thick drilled a hole in the center tapped,then I mounted to the shock to get alignment correct and tack welded removed shock and finished the welds. very simple and allows easy shock replacement and only sacrificed 3/4'' of shock travel
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 PM

I was able to knock out the broken studs I encountered when changing my rear shocks and was able to fish in new bolts from the top. I wrapped some thin gauge aluminum wire around the threads, fished the wire in and pulled the bolts through. I was able to work an open end wrench in there from the side access to hold them while I threaded the nuts on from the bottom to install TerraFlex bar pin eliminators. Not much space in the cavity between the shock mount and the floorboad but it can be done. I had both sides done in about an hour but wasn't in a hurry.

Last edited by iflyfish; 09-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

I used these. No muss, no fuss.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=92&gr=1
Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
Has anyone ever used these? They seem like a great idea. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them. Any drawbacks? Here is a link to someone selling them.

They make an upgrade mount like this that also replaces the bar pin. I researched these a bit and they both look pretty stout. I finally decided on the adjustable crossover mount. It's recommended that you get the weld on high clearance lower shock mount with it. Otherwise you'll need some looong shocks. Haven't actually got it yet so I can't give a review. Hopefully it'll be a good set up.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

I'm thinking these as well.

Screw it. I bought them.
Screw it? Why??
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I used the brackets off the rear sway bar. Does the same thing and FREE! All my top bolts broke in the rear. I used an air chisel to break the weld on the bolt and fished a bolt down through. It was easy and don't ever have to do them again!

Last edited by jeepin_xj; 09-11-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I've been using them for about 3mo now. Great design and well built. Also I'm running the 2in design. It was a little challenging of an install with my fat fingers but was an easy install all in all. The install kit came with lock washers but loctite isn't a bad idea cause they loosened up about a month after the installl. Just tightened everything back up and good to go! Worth every penny IMO.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Member

I just said screw it because I didn't feel like farting around with rusty broken bolts in a tight space. It was worth 80$ not to have to mess with that. Seems like a great idea to accommodate a poor design. Glad to hear the good reviews, makes me feel like I made the right choice.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by iflyfish
I was able to knock out the broken studs I encountered when changing my rear shocks and was able to fish in new bolts from the top. I wrapped some thin gauge aluminum wire around the threads, fished the wire in and pulled the bolts through. I was able to work an open end wrench in there from the side access to hold them while I threaded the nuts on from the bottom to install TerraFlex bar pin eliminators. Not much space in the cavity between the shock mount and the floorboad but it can be done. I had both sides done in about an hour but wasn't in a hurry.
I did the same thing, except with fishing line. So much easier than cutting holes in the floor lol. No idea why people go the long way to do it the wrong way.

Quick Reply: Upper shock bolt replacement brackets