Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Front Suspension/Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Upgrading Front Suspension/Steering

'97 XJ with Rough Country 4.5" lift but all other parts are stock and every greaseable joint is shot! Looking at replacing them all and upgrading the underneath of the front end:

Rock Krawler Bomb Proof Front Track Bar and Bracket
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_8105.htm

Currie CURRECTLYNC Heavy-Duty Tie Rod System
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56116_200.htm

Ball Joint Kit (x2)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56100_00.htm

Open to thoughts or opinions before I click the 'Add To Cart' button so let's hear it!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

The Currie steering is definitely heavy duty...but its still inverted Y steering... Because it is not a solid tie rod your toe will change at different heights as your suspension moves through its range.

Check out JCR steering http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=1TNST

Yes it will take a little more work, but you will save money over the Currie steering and it is a better set up anyway. I would just run the under the knuckle set up (which I linked above) because it is MUCH more simple than the over the knuckle setup to install.

New ball joints are always good, and check out Iron Rock Offroad for the track bar to see if you like that better...they make some really beefy stuff... I am running their control arms and their track bar....I literally said "holy F***!" when I opened the box to my IRO parts.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

That track bar is one of the best out there, I'd say go with it.

As for steering and ball joints, go to Serious Offroad. You'll get a better product for about $100 cheaper. He also offers Spicer ball joints that are right around that price and are MUCH better quality than those from Quadratec
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Go with the Serious Offroad steering imo. Great product. He has Spicer balljoints too at a good price. And I'll be ordering an RE adjustable track bar from him too.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Poloboy406
The Currie steering is definitely heavy duty...but its still inverted Y steering... Because it is not a solid tie rod your toe will change at different heights as your suspension moves through its range.
but what people dont seem to understand is that your toe only matters when you're driving on the road, at ride height. when your fully drooped on one side going half a mile an hour the first thing on your mind isnt, "holy crap my toe is so off right now, my tires are gonna wear out so unevenly."

inverted-Y provides great steering feel and feedback on the road. if you dont plan on beating your rig up through rocks the currie setup is worth the money. inverted-T has **** for steering feel and feedback, i didnt like it. i run crossover now and its awesome, but you dont need crossover unless you start getting 4-5" or higher.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
but what people dont seem to understand is that your toe only matters when you're driving on the road, at ride height. when your fully drooped on one side going half a mile an hour the first thing on your mind isnt, "holy crap my toe is so off right now, my tires are gonna wear out so unevenly."

inverted-Y provides great steering feel and feedback on the road. if you dont plan on beating your rig up through rocks the currie setup is worth the money. inverted-T has **** for steering feel and feedback, i didnt like it. i run crossover now and its awesome, but you dont need crossover unless you start getting 4-5" or higher.
I lose sleep over this very type of thing on a nightly basis. speak for yourself not everyone else.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Poloboy406

Check out JCR steering http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=1TNST

Yes it will take a little more work, but you will save money over the Currie steering and it is a better set up anyway. I would just run the under the knuckle set up (which I linked above) because it is MUCH more simple than the over the knuckle setup to install.

New ball joints are always good, and check out Iron Rock Offroad for the track bar to see if you like that better...they make some really beefy stuff... I am running their control arms and their track bar....I literally said "holy F***!" when I opened the box to my IRO parts.

Good luck!
Sticking with an inverted Y steering thanks for the info.

All also be checking out all the Iron Rock Offroad and Serious Offroad products mentioned. Thanks guys. I'll share what I decide on.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by G.Simpson
Sticking with an inverted Y steering thanks for the info.

All also be checking out all the Iron Rock Offroad and Serious Offroad products mentioned. Thanks guys. I'll share what I decide on.
I don't mean to take away anything from the vendors here but you could build the serious steering for about half the price without much fab skills
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by xjfirefighter
I don't mean to take away anything from the vendors here but you could build the serious steering for about half the price without much fab skills
I have decent mechanical skills but ZERO fab skills haha.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM

I have that Currie system and you can't go wrong with it....it is beef as hell and I've put it through hell with no issues at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM

After looking around I'm gonna stick with the Currie HD system, I don't want to change the steering type and after many "modification needed" mods it would be nice to have a direct bolt-in install.

All the track bars mentioned look great but not much cheaper than the Rock Krawler which I hear only the best things about so gonna stick with that system as well.

Definitely going with the Serious Offroad ball joints, the ones I listed are only OEM and more expensive.

Will buy the ball joints from Serious Offroad's website but for the other parts anybody know of a cheaper/better place to purchase them than Quadratec?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...30-And-Dana-44

These are the correct ball joints, right?

Also, Rock Krawler makes a track bar 3"-4.5" and the linked one 4.5"-6", since I have a 4.5" lift I should get the 4.5"-6" correct?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got RK trackbar and steering. Both are as they say, bomb-proof.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Good deal no the RK TB setup.
For ball joints, maybe polyperformance/synergy suspension ball joints?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by mr white
i've got RK trackbar and steering. Both are as they say, bomb-proof.
Good to know. I mostly go muddin and some trails but no crazy rock crawling so I should be good.

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Good deal no the RK TB setup.
For ball joints, maybe polyperformance/synergy suspension ball joints?
Saw those but a bit steep on the price, more than I want to spend on ball joints.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Front Suspension/Steering