Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven steering input

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Uneven steering input

Just picked up a 99 XJ cherokee sport, lifted 6 inches on 33s. i noticed it takes sigificantly more steering input to make it go right than it does to go left. For example, to make a slight right the wheel is turned almost 90 degrees, however if i was going to make the same turn going the opposite direction (left) then it only requires me to turn the wheel roughly 45 degrees. What would be causing the significant difference of steering input needed to turn it to the right. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Since you just picked it up, I would recommend inspecting all of the front end components. Track bar, Drag link, tie rod, tie rod ends, ball joints, bearings, control arms, steering box bolts, steering box spacer etc... Anything that's attached to the front axle grab it and give it a shake (best to do this with the front end off the ground with no weight on the axle).

Its possible the steering gear spacer is disintegrated or the steering gear bolts are loose, allowing it to flex out of place only while turning one direction. Or maybe your track bar bracket is loose. Also check for frame cracks where your steering box is.

Basically my point is check all your mounting points and since your there check everything else you can too.

Edit: also pictures of your front end components could help us help you more as well.

Last edited by krazynezz; 10-20-2016 at 07:11 PM.