Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Bar Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L Stroker
Default Track Bar Dilemma

Heres the skinny....

I have a 2000 xj with 4.5" lift, 33's, etc.... My entire front end is brand new, has 500 miles on it total. I get TONS of feedback in my steering wheel from every little bump I hit. I also get death wobble like a boss. Like I said, everything is new.

Tie Rods, TRE
Drag Link
Stabilizer
Springs
Control Arms

I do not have a drop pitman arm, but I do have an adjustable track bar. It has been aligned, everything seems to be in order.

I have ordered a drop pitman arm, and I have a double shear style track bar with relocation bracket sitting on the shelf in the box. I am considering installing both of those and seeing if it helps. I am really at a loss other than that.

A question I had was that when I installed my adjustable track bar (the one that is on there now, not the one on the shelf) the hole in the bracket was oval shaped, so I ended up drilling it out to 1/2" as well as the bushing in the track bar so that I was back to a round hole. My new track bar is not 1/2" and That ball and socket style joint will be a PITA to drill out, plus I don't really want to do that, because its a pretty nice unit. Any ideas?

Also, what is your best method for making sure your axle is centered when messing with your track bar? Can it be done by yourself? I am usually rolling solo in the garage. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

i stopped reading halfway through. take a picture of your front end and post it up. adjusting the trackbar can be done by yourself but its easier with a buddy turning the steering wheel.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L H/O

You need to make sure the drag link and trac bar are parallel to eliminate the bump steer.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM

I haven't yet centered the front end in my jeep, as im still building it, but an easy way i found from working on a latemodel race car is to string it. Grab 4 jack stands, some string, and a good measuring tape. Run the string along the side of the car and attach it to a jack stand on each end. Now measure of the frame or body (doesn't matter as long as its straight) and get the string to run parallel to the car. Do the same thing on the other side, and make sure it is the same distance away. Now measure to the front end.

This can also be used to check your toe, if you dont have toe plates, and also used on the rear end if you have adjustability in there.

Good luck man!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Oh and to add to that last post i made, make sure when you adjust the track bar, you re-align the string to the car. No matter how much you crank the track bar, the tires will not move when they are on the ground. The truck will move. Been there, done that! Lol
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
i stopped reading halfway through. take a picture of your front end and post it up. adjusting the trackbar can be done by yourself but its easier with a buddy turning the steering wheel.
This.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I guess I'm not sure what is confusing. Stock track bar bracket has a 3/8" hole. Mine is 1/2". My new track bar has a 3/8" hole in it. How do I make the two work together safely and properly?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
I guess I'm not sure what is confusing. Stock track bar bracket has a 3/8" hole. Mine is 1/2". My new track bar has a 3/8" hole in it. How do I make the two work together safely and properly?
Sounds like you have a 1/2" hole in the lower bracket and a 3/8" hole in a hemi or johnny joint lower track bar end?

Maybe you could purchase another end with the 1/2" hole and just swap it out.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

you said you have a bad wobble, you dont want our help? post a pic.

to make the trackbar work you need a new axle side end on the trackbar, or weld a piece of place over the bracket and drill a new hole. you didnt say what brand it was... rock krawler's trackbar is 1/2" on the axle side by default, RE and TNT both make 1/2" joint upgrades for theirs, i'm sure clayton would throw a 1/2" end on if you asked as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes I was looking for help, that is why I came here. Maybe you guys caught me on a bad day. I appreciate all the info on the track bars. I will start with my drop pitman and new track bar and see how that improves things. I'll post back. Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Yes I was looking for help, that is why I came here. Maybe you guys caught me on a bad day. I appreciate all the info on the track bars. I will start with my drop pitman and new track bar and see how that improves things. I'll post back. Thanks guys.
you might not need the drop pitman arm, depending on what trackbar/bracket you are using. thats why you should post a pic first.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

pics are worth a thousand words...of good advice when the right people are looking at them.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Gotcha. I'll post a pic tonight.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Name:  null.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  160.8 KB
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

those angles arent bad enough to cause death wobble, i think something else is wrong.. but theres only so much i can tell from a pic. you could use a drop pitman arm to get it better... what trackbar is that? looks lame.

Quick Reply: Track Bar Dilemma