Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyota tacoma bastard pack???????

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toyota tacoma bastard pack???????

i have a set of 96 tacoma leafs just wondering if these will work well with my main leaf ??? an if anyone has used these how much lift did you get??? im looking for 3-3.5 in of lift
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

If they are 2.5" wide, then yes they will work. But, most of the Yota springs I've seen are either flat or frowning, so I wouldn't think it net you much more than a ****ty ride.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: flux capacitor

Stock 95.5-97 tacoma springs are notoriously brittle. Do some research and you'll see what I'm talking about. Their frames and springs on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen tacos were made by the Dana corp and 70% were made with bad steel hence the frame recall.... If you know anyone that has had a frame for a tacoma replaced due to the recall you will see the dealer replaces the rear springs as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

He's correct^^. I am a mechanic at a Toyota dealership. They did have recalls on the truck frames...rusting out. And replaced the leafs. But I snatched a few good pairs of leaf packs off of some of the newer trucks they did. Ones in decent shape. And I put the leaf under the main one with the eyes on it in a newer set of leafs for my XJ. Made my on bastard pack guess. I'm installing them tomorrow and Saturday. We will see how they go. They are 2.5 inches wide. And match the length of the leaf under the main leaf on our XJ. I'm guess I will get a firmer ride...Idk about a lift. Probably minimum for any lifting. At least me only using one leaf I don't expect much. I'm just hoping I can haul more wait in the rear with out them sagging like my current ones are. They are shot. I'll post up some more info on this subject once I install the leafs. I'll measure everything before and after. I'm also installing one inch shackles too...they are shot too.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by wheelinwv
i have a set of 96 tacoma leafs just wondering if these will work well with my main leaf ??? an if anyone has used these how much lift did you get??? im looking for 3-3.5 in of lift
I'm sure if your set is in good shape and the set of tacoma leafs are good...then mix them up together. See what happens. You may be able to get 3. But not too sure. Always worth a shot to try. As stated a second ago...I'm just installing one tacoma leaf into a good set of XJ leafs. Hoping for good results.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Ok....just installed my leaf packs that had one leaf from a tacoma in it. Decided not to do the shackles yet. So as she sits with the new leafs....1.5 inches higher then stock. So big difference for me since they were sagging. I believe its 17.5 inches from the middle of the center cap to the bottom of the fender. I have exactly 19 inches dead on. So I'm happy with the results. I'm hoping they settle to 18.5. Because I do have one inch shackles then two inch spacers for the front to install. Hope this helps. I have extra pairs of these "add a leafs". I just may try to sell them not sure tho. If I do they would be cheap.