Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIres- Maxxis Trepedors Bias- Best yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000
Default TIres- Maxxis Trepedors Bias- Best yet?

Like everything else with the Cherokees, start small, learn and grow bigger.
There are always limitations and end points. Lift, gears, fender flares or cutting.

Tires-
We all started with stock size, then got 31s, 32s, 33s, then 35s.
I've had BFG All-Terrains, BFG M/S, General all terrains, MTRs, Duratracs and most recently a set of Maxxis Trepedor Bias 35"x12.5
Got a great deal on these from 4WheelParts. Tires 10% off, rims 20%+$15 each off, $50 to mount and balance 5 tires and rims, $150 for tire replacement warranty, free shipping, no tax.

My Duratracs are great tires, good all around street and trail, reasonably priced, long lasting, drove to Moab and back. They do pack up with mud and not great in loose rock and don't have much side biters.

I think that the top of the heap is the Maxxis Trepedor Bias ply(not radials).
They are super knobby, huge big lugs, quiet on the street, and nice big side biters. Now this Cherokee has become more of a trailer rig use but still drives on the street but not with daily driver function. Because of that, I stepped up to the Trepedors. Air them down to 10-15psi and they will be nearly unstoppable.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

How about some pics? There are mean looking tires. Also about how long do you expect to get out of a set, i have been looking at a lot of tires and these were one of them.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

I'll give you some pics!

I will say that while these rock, they are not a daily driver tire. The noise honestly isn't bad but being a bias-ply tire, they will flat-spot. The flatspotting is very rapid and will happen overnight especially if its cold out. When they warm up they'll smooth out but it takes a while when its cold out for that to happen (20-30 minutes!). The rough ride with flat spotted tires is extremely rough... When I store my XJ for anything over a few days it goes on jackstands to minimize long term flat-spot damage.

If you're cherokee is a dedicated trail rig then go for it! They are an excellent tire. Just make sure you DO NOT get the competition compound... They'll only last a few thousand miles. With the street compound the wear is comparable to any other extreme terrain tire.

Name:  290.jpg
Views: 5032
Size:  4.14 MB
Name:  279.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  3.87 MB
Name:  285.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  2.80 MB
Name:  274.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  6.52 MB
Name:  060.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  2.45 MB
Name:  240.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  7.28 MB
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They remind me of a mickey thompson baja claw
Old 06-27-2017, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
They remind me of a mickey thompson baja claw

but like a hundred million times better
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

MT Bear Claw- Not nearly aggressive side biters as the Trepedors.
Maxxis Trepedors-

Last edited by CobraMarty; 06-28-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my 2 Door and absolutely love them. Best tire you can run off-road in my option. They just plain work on any terrain.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for posting pics of these tires on your XJs.

USN JeepXJ- It was your pictures on the Moab thread that got me looking at these tires. You're a bad influence!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

GAAWWWWD I want those. Someday
Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

first, OP , thanks for sharing. I just wanted to say that that is one of the best looking XJs I have seen in a long time. Everything for the color to the accesories shows you have put some work in and it is a great specimen.
This is coming from a guy tht has had the same one since 1995 and is approachong 400,000 original miles on her.
Your XJ is simply awesome.

Second, thank you for this time info. I am about to pull the plug on the 37s for my trail dedicated JKU and have been needing some final info .
Your post confirms what I suspected and backs my decision to go with a set of these on the trail rig.

Are the 35s you are running ( bead-locked it seems) apt to burp the inside if you air too low> ?
Do you have images of the current tread now that you've wheeled these for over a half year or so? I would love to see close up of the wear and tread presently.

I like the tip ob flat spot prevention with jack-stands; I am OCD enough to do that . Heh.

What does your XJ in the images weigh when fully loaded for trails with the spare on, do you know?
I ask because my other apprehension is the fact theat the non competition compound Trep bias in size I am getting are e rated carcasses and that is not a very forgiving sidewall for a JKU that comes in fully loaded for bear with a 37" spare at just shy of 5000lbs. I am interested in your XJ's weight, as pictured .

Thanks for any newer images you can post of the tread and even the most meager ear it is seeing after 7 months.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r

Second, thank you for this time info. I am about to pull the plug on the 37s for my trail dedicated JKU and have been needing some final info .
Your post confirms what I suspected and backs my decision to go with a set of these on the trail rig.
!
I think you may have used the wrong phrase?

and I wish I could afford to have a trail dedicated jku but damn they are expensive!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

I bought them on sale thru 4WheelParts.

Used the XJ with these tires this last summer at 'Jeeps at the Farm' and pulled guys out of the mud pit. Kept getting the comment 'you are going to pull me out with that little XJ'. Yeah, get in, hold on, and shut up. Tires threw mud everywhere and pulled every stuck guy out of the mud. 'Little XJ' ha.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM

@Martlor13
ha! Yeah, better choice of verbiage mighta been a good idea, lulz
FWIW, it took me over 20 years of security and coding to save enough for the jku. Was supposed to be wife’s DD to take load off the ‘95 XJ that she still won’t give up & put to pasture ( retire from DD duty) so I built the jk into a crawler since I started workin from home. It’s pretty crazy, to be sure. She loves our XJ !

@ MartyCobra yeah, the traction is renowned and sidewall toughness unsurpassed. They are stupid expensive is why I’m hunting so many opinions!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Affordable Offroad
I have them on my 2 Door and absolutely love them. Best tire you can run off-road in my option. They just plain work on any terrain.

how ‘bout you , @Affordable Offroad
You able to throw any Picts (edit: I’d like to see some tread wear close up on those pictured after a bit of ownership time is why) up of your great looking XJs Treps after a few miles usage or in their present condition so I can see up close what the tread on the bias, non competition wears like after some wheelin and some driving ? I’d appreciate it if ya could. Nice rig, btw!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r
first, OP , thanks for sharing. I just wanted to say that that is one of the best looking XJs I have seen in a long time. Everything for the color to the accesories shows you have put some work in and it is a great specimen.
This is coming from a guy tht has had the same one since 1995 and is approachong 400,000 original miles on her.

Are the 35s you are running ( bead-locked it seems) apt to burp the inside if you air too low> ?
Do you have images of the current tread now that you've wheeled these for over a half year or so? I would love to see close up of the wear and tread presently.

I like the tip ob flat spot prevention with jack-stands; I am OCD enough to do that . Heh.

What does your XJ in the images weigh when fully loaded for trails with the spare on, do you know?
I ask because my other apprehension is the fact theat the non competition compound Trep bias in size I am getting are e rated carcasses and that is not a very forgiving sidewall for a JKU that comes in fully loaded for bear with a 37" spare at just shy of 5000lbs. I am interested in your XJ's weight, as pictured .

Thanks for any newer images you can post of the tread and even the most meager ear it is seeing after 7 months.

Thanks!

If you are talking about USN JeepXJ, those are double bead lock rims he is running.

Last edited by TRCM; 02-09-2018 at 06:50 PM.