Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire options and snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L Renix
Default tire options and snow

so not many manufactures list the ability of there tire in snow un less its a snow tire. i have read many reviews watched vids and frankly i'm confused. some say use only AT tires some swear by MT in the snow. and lots say mts dig too much. what has been your experience tire and type please.

also i seen these fo sale. would they do any good. figure pretty big lug's of tread lots of bite.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/***-682312/All/
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Year: 00'
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.

I know tireRack shows all that stuff but im not sure if the tires you want are for sale through them.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 PM

oh frig i just found a few sites to read up on tread design per use application. looks like gears can dramatically affect traction as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omnipotent Octopus
I know tireRack shows all that stuff but im not sure if the tires you want are for sale through them.
you are correct about that. i'm looking to find out about deep snow use. i the deepest i have been in is only about one to about 3 feet. ant that was on hankook dyna pro atm and those are AT tires. they did ok.but i can fore see those not getting me up a moderate incline.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Year: 00'
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.

I'm not a tire expert but I have some walmart a/t's with a very mild tread design and my Cherokee went beast mode when we got a dump of snow. I never thought the tires would be a decent snow tire but they have been great to me. I have some big hills on my backroads that I use to get in town and the tires never lost traction in 4-HI. When I was in two wheel drive I was messin around being a dumbass and I punched the throttle going up hill and by the time I reached the top of the hill I was sideways and slid into a ditch right at the top. This was a very deep ditch and I thought I was gonna need to call someone to come get me, but I was like what the hell Ill try to get out. Popped it in 4-Lo and drove the sum***** right out. The next winter, we got 2ft of snow one night and I had to go on a rescue mission to pull my brother out of a ditch, my oh my did these tires work well. All in all I think no matter what tire you get the Cherokee does work in the snow (if you have 4x4).
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm not a tire expert but I have some walmart a/t's with a very mild tread design and my Cherokee went beast mode when we got a dump of snow. I never thought the tires would be a decent snow tire but they have been great to me. I have some big hills on my backroads that I use to get in town and the tires never lost traction in 4-HI. When I was in two wheel drive I was messin around being a dumbass and I punched the throttle going up hill and by the time I reached the top of the hill I was sideways and slid into a ditch right at the top. This was a very deep ditch and I thought I was gonna need to call someone to come get me, but I was like what the hell Ill try to get out. Popped it in 4-Lo and drove the sum***** right out. The next winter, we got 2ft of snow one night and I had to go on a rescue mission to pull my brother out of a ditch, my oh my did these tires work well. All in all I think no matter what tire you get the Cherokee does work in the snow (if you have 4x4).

i'm headed for this kind of stuff : http://www.youtube.com/user/Snowbatm...30/8bNFt72YyOE or atlest thats the goal. i agree intown and stuff they were killer even out on the service roads. but i want to head out into no mans land .
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I can boast for yokohama's geolander I/T, never had them on an xj, but had them on my s10 2 winters ago, i could almost slam on my brakes without it sliding around, was weird how well they gripped. Plus i was driving where fwd's were having issues getting up hills and what not, had a little wheel spin but it got the truck around great.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 AM

let it snow
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Depends what kind of snow. If you want to stay on top of the really deep snow you're going to need fat tires. If you're in not so deep snow you want tall thin tires. The main thing with snow is you want tons of siping in the tires.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

ive had good luck so far with my dayton timberline AT 2s but the deepest ive had them in is 6in of snow but the bite they have is really good, now for deep deep stuff like you want to go through im not to sure what would work but my dad has bfg ATs on his 99 F250 and hes been through a foot deep if not deeper with them
Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

the taller teh tire the better (to keep you axles out of the snow as much as possible) the wider the better teh keep it floating ontop of the snow as mucha s possible. airing down also helps teh foot print to be wider and stay ontop of the snow a lot better.

I would look into goodyear duratracks. I have gone with some people who have them and they seam to do really well, on road, off road and in snowy/icey conditions.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 3.7l V6

I use Cooper STT's. they are good in all conditions here in the Rocky Mountains so far... Big lugged, and sipped. I have had no issues at all, and we have had plenty of snow dumps already. They are excellent in deep snow and pretty good with light snow and ice.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l I6

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj

I would look into goodyear duratracks. I have gone with some people who have them and they seam to do really well, on road, off road and in snowy/icey conditions.
The duratracs are incredible in snow. I have them on my 01. By far best tire ive ever had. And they have the stud holes in them already so u can stud them, if ur road commission allows it ofcourse
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM

I had bfg a/t on a chevy pick up in alaska and they did great in the snow. We also had a zj with dunlop mud rovers on it. That was a whole different story. It was like trying to rollerskate on an ice skating rink. You definitly want to have siping on your tires.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM

look up TREADWRIGHT tires...model GUARD DOGS

Quick Reply: tire options and snow