Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts On Mod Sequencing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Thoughts On Mod Sequencing

Hey Everyone,

Bought a $3,000 XJ (2000 2dr Sport) in the middle of this whole Coronavirus thing as a spare time project. Most of the effort so far has been electrical in nature (windows/stereo/bad wiring). I'm now starting to think about some more significant mechanical stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up putting another $4-5k into this thing before I'm done with it but I see no reason to wait and spend all that money at once. If you guys are game, I'll lay out my general goals and some initial thoughts I have - then I'm wondering what you all think the best mods are and what order to should do them in.

This Jeep is our third car and is basically weekend toy. We'll use it whenever we're taking the dog somewhere, going to the beach or generally doing anything dirty. I believe I'll also eventually take it on camping trips to the desert (SoCal) and perhaps into the mountains (snow) during the winter. I've never been a hardcore off roader but I do want to make sure that I'm not the weak link when out with my Dad in his 99 land cruiser and buddy in his mostly stock FSB.
  • I really don't plan on going bigger than 31-32 on tires and hoping that will allow me to keep the rear/front end mostly stock.
  • I have it in my head that I'll upgrade to 4.11s and probably put an LSD in the back (maybe LSD, locker or wide open in the front).
  • Don't plan to lift too much but it does seem like a good way to refresh a whole lot of the 200,000+ mile suspension and accommodate the weight of a winch
  • Speaking of winch - I really doubt I'm going to get into such hairy stuff in the desert that I'll need one - but still feel like it would be cool...I can certainly be talked out of it though
  • I bought it with a little damage under the doors that I plan to fix and maybe put in some rock sliders. If the previous owner managed to mess it up so bad coming out of a weird driveway (supposedly) I could certainly replicate the feat on the trail.
  • Other stuff I've given thought to; upgrade the roof rack, some cheap aftermarket steel wheels, junkyard WJ seats
Anyway, based on how I'm using it, what are your opinions on how to plan out $4-5k? What would you do first, second, last, etc? The truck is mostly stock except; totally covered in bed liner, 235/75/15s, led light bar, double din apple car play stereo and rear tow hitch. BTW - I'll DIY a little here/there but I neither have the tools nor expertise to tackle stuff like re-gear and LSD.

Thanks.

Someday I'll take it out of the garage and take better pics, but today is not that day.+
Old 10-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Since you'll be going into the desert I would start with completely refreshing your cooling system so that you don't run into any stupid problems with that. The general recommendation is that anything maintenance should be as Mopar as possible and personally, if I can't find something Mopar I try my best to buy it American made. I know this may not be what you want to hear cause you're talking about upgrades so I'll get to the good stuff.

4 hole injectors were my very first upgrade to my Jeep and you can find many posts about it here.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/in...ap-4-0l-92149/

If you want to continue with modifications to the motor I'm dropping in an MSD coil and gapping to .040 cause I'm 1995 but upgrading to the viper coil is a great idea.
https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store...il_Mod_.html#/

Big 7 cables are a must on these old XJ's cause you're bound to have electrical problems with vehicles that have been used.
https://www.jeepcables.com/shop/p/xj...lete-kit-y5eg5

Last power upgrade is a new exhaust manifold. I went with a stainless one and had it sprayed inside and outside with techline cermakrome.

Bigger tires and a bigger lift is always nice but if you get into that you'll need to regear, especially if you're automatic because these things can't shift right with bad gearing.

I could keep going down this list, if you would like me to keep going I don't know if any of my information will be taken well.

Last thing I would recommend is if you need any parts call Ralph he can find anything

Last edited by Griffyorcono; 10-23-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you can find a set, buy the rear windows with the little wing glass that opens. They really help circulating air in the hot weather.

If you stick with 31s and a 3 inch lift you can get by with a set of 4:10 axles from a donor cherokee. Just bolt them right in after some preventative maintenance while they arent under the vehicle. For alot of situations 3/31s is a pretty good combination.

The following users liked this post:
Griffyorcono (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

I say winch is all you need.
keep it kozy for tge family. Maybe bumpers and sliders to protect it when the winch is dragging it around

The following users liked this post:
domestic82 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Year: 1989

If it helps here is my list of costs so far for my 89 Wagoneer XJ...:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

My parts costs are around $7000... on a $2000 jeep. Obviously, you can pick or choose, find less expensive parts, skip some of the bigger/more expensive mods (like the rear tire carrier bumper that was $750). and you don't have a vacuum actuator on your front axle you have to bypass, etc. I have had to do A LOT of fixing other people's **** repair jobs old and worn out parts, and I'm trying to do a lot of things right the first time and I'm not close to being done, my jeep is not drive-able as I'm still waiting on my lift kit to show up (now over 2 months on back order, so keep that in mind, a lot of kits are on back order trough December still), and It doesn't have A/C and the seats are on backorder, etc. My last XJ I fixed things as they broke, and I really don't want to do that this time I just want to enjoy it and not worry about it so much.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

My parts costs are around $7000... on a $2000 jeep. Obviously, you can pick or choose, find less expensive parts, skip some of the bigger/more expensive mods (like the rear tire carrier bumper that was $750). and you don't have a vacuum actuator on your front axle you have to bypass, etc. I have had to do A LOT of fixing other people's **** repair jobs old and worn out parts, and I'm trying to do a lot of things right the first time and I'm not close to being done, my jeep is not drive-able as I'm still waiting on my lift kit to show up (now over 2 months on back order, so keep that in mind, a lot of kits are on back order trough December still), and It doesn't have A/C and the seats are on backorder, etc. My last XJ I fixed things as they broke, and I really don't want to do that this time I just want to enjoy it and not worry about it so much.

Dear God I thought I was the only one. I just want to go out a wheel without having to worry about having to get a tow truck after because something broke because someone else put it back together wrong and I didn't check it
Old 10-23-2020, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Griffyorcono
Dear God I thought I was the only one. I just want to go out a wheel without having to worry about having to get a tow truck after because something broke because someone else put it back together wrong and I didn't check it
I did that with my last XJ, and some engine problems was the last straw and I sold it (stupidly) since it sat like 90% of the time waiting for me to figure out what was wrong, to afford the part, order the part, install the part. . So this time I am doing it as right as I can. I just started keeping track, since 99% of this is being paid for by my youtube business and I have to do accounting, I left that open on my computer, and my wife saw it, and that's been my only problem really so far.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:28 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 609 Likes on 519 Posts
Year: 96

decide on what lift you want first,

imo 2-3" is the most you can go with relatively stock parts and no real issues, with a simple replace as you go program

above that you have to spend a lot more if you want to do it right

does your unit not already have rear LSD, most XJ do ?

I do like a winch on a 4wd, it will save yr backside

some traction aid for the front is nice, but I would only use a selectable locker which are expensive, or an eaton truetrac...which is expensive
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by awg
decide on what lift you want first,

imo 2-3" is the most you can go with relatively stock parts and no real issues, with a simple replace as you go program

above that you have to spend a lot more if you want to do it right

does your unit not already have rear LSD, most XJ do ?

I do like a winch on a 4wd, it will save yr backside

some traction aid for the front is nice, but I would only use a selectable locker which are expensive, or an eaton truetrac...which is expensive
I had no idea, but after your comment and a little Googling, I found the sticker in my glove box which appears to confirm that I indeed do have LSD in the rear. Just goes to show how new I am to these Jeeps. I do like the idea of LSD in the rear (for patchy snow or generally sketchy on-road conditions) and a legit locker in front.

And finally, it seems there's some consensus building around a winch. Perhaps that should be the first thing to go on. We'll see how much (if at all) a new bumper and winch lower the front, which will probably influence the size/type of lift.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
If you can find a set, buy the rear windows with the little wing glass that opens. They really help circulating air in the hot weather.
Didn't even know those windows existed. I have a growing list for the junkyard that I'll add those to. I'm guessing they won't be easy to find, but that sounds like a relatively easy/cheap upgrade if I can find them.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 PM

Thanks for that. I'm working on my own spreadsheet. Already about 15 lines deep and what was originally a $3,000 purchase is creeping on $4,800. I told my wife that after two years this Jeep will have cost less than the dog she just adopted...looking like that won't be true, but I am the keeper of both spreadsheets so...

Also, holy seats batman! I suppose seats are important though. I've been working from home since March and my garbage office chair from staples almost ruined my whole body. If the seats are crap, the rest of the truck won't matter, I suppose.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by domestic82
Thanks for that. I'm working on my own spreadsheet. Already about 15 lines deep and what was originally a $3,000 purchase is creeping on $4,800. I told my wife that after two years this Jeep will have cost less than the dog she just adopted...looking like that won't be true, but I am the keeper of both spreadsheets so...

Also, holy seats batman! I suppose seats are important though. I've been working from home since March and my garbage office chair from staples almost ruined my whole body. If the seats are crap, the rest of the truck won't matter, I suppose.

I had the factory seats in my last XJ, and hurt my back pretty bad on a couple of off roading trips. I've only gotten older in the mean time, My back and my rear are important to me, so Suspension seats it is. They "should" just drop in with corbeau brackets. I tried to fab up some other seats, and got way too far into that project before I realized how big of a mistake that was, and how expensive it was going to be to get some custom welding done (I have no way to weld at my house currently). I've been saving up for a while, sold my race car, and have a dumb youtube channel paying for the vast majority of this (and doing all the labor myself).
Old 10-24-2020, 12:12 AM

I had the factory seats in my last XJ, and hurt my back pretty bad on a couple of off roading trips. I've only gotten older in the mean time, My back and my rear are important to me, so Suspension seats it is. They "should" just drop in with corbeau brackets. I tried to fab up some other seats, and got way too far into that project before I realized how big of a mistake that was, and how expensive it was going to be to get some custom welding done (I have no way to weld at my house currently). I've been saving up for a while, sold my race car, and have a dumb youtube channel paying for the vast majority of this (and doing all the labor myself).
I'm with you. Reference - Jeep Disease: http://content.time.com/time/magazin...796473,00.html

Don't ask what personal connection or first hand knowledge I have with this affliction. Because if you do, and if I answer, you'll be sorry.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by domestic82
I'm with you. Reference - Jeep Disease: http://content.time.com/time/magazin...796473,00.html

Don't ask what personal connection or first hand knowledge I have with this affliction. Because if you do, and if I answer, you'll be sorry.

LOL, I will not ask for follow up... I would just end up with a very sore lower back. I was in a motorcycle accident ~ 12 years ago, and I forget sometimes how bad it messed me up, knee, back, shoulder, and then I do something and go "ow that hurts" and am reminded that some idiot on their phone drove over me and drug me for hundreds of feet. Kinda sucks. also another reason I sold my race car. I just couldn't physically sustain the effort needed, even with a knee brace/locked into a seat.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

Girl freind pulls off hard pack rd into 3ft of snow me scratches head looking for a tree.
though the winch isn't used everyday day it is essential. when going through a nasty line im eyeing winch points before i get stuck and weve been stuck plenty

All lockers and bigger tires do is get us stucker.

I highly recommend winch and bumper, if you realy want to show the high dollar jeep guys up then a rear locker and decent tread. I gota say those gladiator x comp look good.

Winch, rear locker, 31" knobby tire and your golden..
along with recovery equipment and tools that go along with being in the wilderness miles from civilization.
On board air, tire plug kit, battery tools, lights, spare parts jack, jacks pull pal ,Supplies for unexpected over night stays.
Investment in rig isnt the concern just yet.

I've wonderd if I can fit a bobcat welder in my jeep weld and power source hmmm

Last edited by EvanM; 10-24-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts On Mod Sequencing