Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those with OME leaf springs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default for those with OME leaf springs...

Just got some new OME leaf springs, the light duty CS034RB. This might be a dumb question, but should there be some sort of bolt/rivet up through the bottom side of the ends of each leaf? On the opposite side of each leaf where the anti-friction pad rests? Looking at the the stock ones still on the Jeep, there seems to be a threaded piece that protrudes on the bottom side of each leaf and looks almost like the end of a bolt. The OME pack does not have these.

The center pin is of course there, as well as clamps on either end of the spring pack. But beyond the clamps, each leaf seems to be "free floating" with an anti-friction pad in between each leaf. There are holes on the under side of each leaf in the OME pack that look as if they'd take a piece similar to the threaded ones in the stock spring pack. There is grease in each one of these holes on the OME pack.

Just need to know if these holes are simply for greasing the anti-friction pads, or if there is a missing piece the further holds the leafs to each other? These springs are brand new. Just seems like the leafs themselves want to spread more than I expected them to. When I hold the spring pack by each eye, with the underside facing the floor, and shake it up and down they seem really soft. Like the spring pack will flex some just from the weight of itself being shook up and down. Once I have the stock pack pulled off I'll have more to compare, but want to make sure I didn't get a part that should be returned/fixed. I know they're supposed to be soft but just wasn't sure if the tips of each leaf should be that loose against one another. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

nope they are good to go. throw them on the jeep
Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

those holes are for the friction pads to sit in. they have two prongs that rest in those holes on the stock pack.

throw in the OME springs...thats how they are designed....pretty sure they just use a low friction paint with graphite in it, instead of the derlin pads.