Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about long arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Thinking about long arms

I'm at around a 4'' lift right now. Rubi Express hybrid upfront with (I think) stock coils with 1.5'' spacers, stock shackles with a bastard pack. This was all put on by the previous owner. I've been considering a new lift + long arms, but due to having to park in a parking garage (in an apartment building), I can't go up much higher.. I think the door is like 6'9'', and with my roof rack on it's pretty close. I was thinking of doing a long arm upgrade with what I have now, but possibly upgrading to a 2'' spacer and an actual shackle upgrade to match, and maybe the same size coils, but beefier, since I'd be taking them off anyway.

Have any thoughts on this? Would it be wise to do a long arm on my current lift for now? I do plan on going higher eventually, just until I can figure parking out.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Is there clearance for the arms?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96

Instead of using spacers, I would get coil springs that are the height you want (probably for a 3-4 inch lift?) that way you're getting not only ride height, but more travel (when you use spacers, you just gain height). Long arms wouldn't be bad though, I'll be putting a set on mine here shortly and i have a 4.5 inch lift. Look into getting extended break lines and possibly longer shocks as well
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Usually around 4.5" is where folks start with long arms.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Is there clearance for the arms?
I'm not sure, actually. I can check/take a picture tomorrow. For what it's worth, it probably doesn't help at all, but I have aftermarket short arms on at the moment. I'm just not too familiar with suspension, and I have a limited amount of info from the previous guy, so kind of learning as I go, heh.

Originally Posted by Thedude
Instead of using spacers, I would get coil springs that are the height you want (probably for a 3-4 inch lift?) that way you're getting not only ride height, but more travel (when you use spacers, you just gain height). Long arms wouldn't be bad though, I'll be putting a set on mine here shortly and i have a 4.5 inch lift. Look into getting extended break lines and possibly longer shocks as well
That might be a better option.. And do I need special, stainless steel lines, or just longer lines like off some truck? I think a friend of mine got his lines for his 6'' off a GMC? And shocks need to be upgraded anyway.. haha. What's the price roughly for the shocks?

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Usually around 4.5" is where folks start with long arms.
Yeah that's what I was coming across, but a friend of mine said he'd do it if he were in my position. What's the downside of doing it at 4''?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

dont think just do it!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by krawlthis
dont think just do it!!!!!!
If I lived by that logic, I'd always be in a lot of trouble. I'm just checking to see if it'd be worth it, and what else I'd need. I'm quite tempted to go through with it. Just not a little nervous since I'm not at 4.5''.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy

That might be a better option.. And do I need special, stainless steel lines, or just longer lines like off some truck? I think a friend of mine got his lines for his 6'' off a GMC? And shocks need to be upgraded anyway.. haha. What's the price roughly for the shocks?

Yeah that's what I was coming across, but a friend of mine said he'd do it if he were in my position. What's the downside of doing it at 4''?

---For shocks, like 130 for all for, giver or take 10$.. and thats going with zone or BDS (i'm running BDS and i love them). As far as brake lines go, It's the length you're looking for. you can get heavy duty stainless Kevlar bulletproof whatchajiggers or you can go with something like your friend did, it's up to you. personally, i'd just go buy them from somewhere like rustys or quadratec if you can find them cheap. I bought mine from a little 4x4 place down the road that are kevlar apparently.. so i dno.

i can't think of why it would be a bad thing.. I mean, it could be a tire to lift ratio thing. If your tires aren't big enough you might drag the control arm mounts over something or hit them on a rock.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 PM

ya i would be too. there is someone on here that is running a 3" lift on 35s with long arms. so it can be done. but i think the issue comes in at the frame rails, the arms hit it. so either a notched frame rail or bent arms like the tnt arms.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

What size tires are you running?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM

his sig says hes running 33/12.5s
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

---For shocks, like 130 for all for, giver or take 10$.. and thats going with zone or BDS (i'm running BDS and i love them). As far as brake lines go, It's the length you're looking for. you can get heavy duty stainless Kevlar bulletproof whatchajiggers or you can go with something like your friend did, it's up to you. personally, i'd just go buy them from somewhere like rustys or quadratec if you can find them cheap. I bought mine from a little 4x4 place down the road that are kevlar apparently.. so i dno.

i can't think of why it would be a bad thing.. I mean, it could be a tire to lift ratio thing. If your tires aren't big enough you might drag the control arm mounts over something or hit them on a rock.
Oh OK, that's not that bad, Roughly $130 for all 4? And my tires are 33x12.50

What size tires are you running?
33x12.50s

Yup! I take it that's about fine? They're anything but small, lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

oops didn't even see it.

I think he'd be fine with the long arms personally, but that's me. I mean i'm running a 4.5 with 33's and i'm going through with it.. I might find out it's a bad thing, but clearance wise I believe he'll be good
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

oops didn't even see it.

I think he'd be fine with the long arms personally, but that's me. I mean i'm running a 4.5 with 33's and i'm going through with it.. I might find out it's a bad thing, but clearance wise I believe he'll be good
No worries . What do you mean you might find out it's a bad thing? lol
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM

oops didn't even see it.

agreed

Quick Reply: Thinking about long arms