Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a RC 3in lift, what else I need ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Thinking about getting a RC 3in lift, what else I need ?

So Im thinking about getting a RC 3in lift and then buying 31s or maybe 32s if they fit. ( maybe some new rims as well)

I have a budget so before I even start buying anything I want to know what else I need to buy if I go 3inches.

I have a 98 xj 4.0 4 wheel drive. Do I need longer brake lines, sway bar links, t-case drop, steering stabilizer, umm what else ? Just want to know if I need anything else if I get the lift just so i have an estimate of how much its all going to cost.

Im not to much into offroading yet but, just did some light trails for now until I do some upgrades. So Im still pretty new and I dont know everything, it would help if you guys could list some of the things I would have to change if I go with a 3 in lift to see if itl be with in my budget.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

With a 3 inch lift you just need shocks for a 3 inch lift,you shouldn't need a tcase drop or anything else,I didn't on my 94 and 31s will look great under it 32s may rub unless you cut a few inches off the fenders, here is mine with a 3 inch RC with shocks but I'm running 33s, and I added lower control arms from RC cause a bent a factory one,
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

looks good, like the bumper. Okay sounds good if the lift is all I need thats great. 3in lift and 31s cant wait. How wide do you guys get the tires ? 10.5 or 11. something?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Year: 2000

I got the RC 3" lift too, with full leafs. Here's what I needed for my 2000 XJ.

-Adjustable Track Bar (went with JKS)
My front axle shifted over to the driver's side after the lift.

-1" T-Case drop (just used 1" square tube from the hardware store)
I had some bad vibrations until about 35mph until i dropped it.

-New nuts and bolts for both front and rear shocks
My rear shock bolts had been replaced once, but 1 of the new ones broke. No big deal, just get new ones. One of the front ones broke too, that's even easier to deal with since they're so easy to get to.

-An alignment to get Toe back to spec
My wheels were toed in after alignment - imagine walking with your feet angled so your toes were closer together than your heels. That's what toe-in/toe-out means. It's bad for tires and handling.

If you unbolt the sway bars from their mounts rather than unbolting the sway bar links, you'll be able to easily bolt them back into place once you lower the vehicle back onto the ground. You don't need longer links, I'm still running both front and rear stock links and they reach just fine, don't appear at all to be straining to reach. They will on the trail when it flexes, though, so quick discos are my plan.

I didn't replace my steering stabilizer because it's still good. If yours is worn, replace it. You might need a beefier one if you're running bigger, wider tires.

My kit came with coil springs, leaf springs, and front and rear shocks.

The ride is great, and only minor death wobble at 50mph sometimes.

I said in another thread that a lot of people here will tell you "oh you don't need this" or "you don't need that". A lot of people are OK with doing half of a job.

The thing they're not telling you is that their Jeep drives like crap, but they don't care.

If you want a nice driving XJ, spend the extra money and do it RIGHT.

Here's mine.

Last edited by 77olds; 05-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 77olds

My rear shock bolts had been replaced once, but 1 of the new ones broke. No big deal, just get new ones. One of the front ones broke too, that's even easier to deal with since they're so easy to get to.

My wheels were toed in after alignment - imagine walking with your feet angled so your toes were closer together than your heels. That's what toe-in/toe-out means. It's bad for tires and handling.

If you unbolt the sway bars from their mounts rather than unbolting the sway bar links, you'll be able to easily bolt them back into place once you lower the vehicle back onto the ground. You don't need longer links, I'm still running both front and rear stock links and they reach just fine, don't appear at all to be straining to reach. They will on the trail when it flexes, though, so quick discos are my plan.

I didn't replace my steering stabilizer because it's still good. If yours is worn, replace it. You might need a beefier one if you're running bigger, wider tires.

I said in another thread that a lot of people here will tell you "oh you don't need this" or "you don't need that". A lot of people are OK with doing half of a job.

The thing they're not telling you is that their Jeep drives like crap, but they don't care.

Here's mine.

what RC kit did you go with? I was thinking about the same manufacture, no off road driving just want a better look and stance
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM

I also just did a 3" lift, but it netted 4.5" somehow, front and rear. I had to do a transfer case drop as well. Also had to replace my stock shackles as they made a ton of noise after putting the new leaf packs in.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

Get the kit with lower arms and get yourself a yj rear brake hose, remove rear sway bar, i didnt need a trac bar but did need a tc drop. 31s rub on mine i had to trim plastic end caps on both bumpers some.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

SYE!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by huntsman
looks good, like the bumper. Okay sounds good if the lift is all I need thats great. 3in lift and 31s cant wait. How wide do you guys get the tires ? 10.5 or 11. something?
3inch with 31x10.50's

Thinking about getting a RC 3in lift, what else I need ?-forumrunner_20120509_091658.jpg
Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 77olds

Here's mine.
your "minor death wobble" is from your sway bar links. I just added quick discos to my RC series II kit an those vibes went away. As for the OP, TC drop, Longer sway bar links or quick discos. check your local JY, my buddy picked up a pair of longer links for $.50 for both. 31x10.50x15s will be plenty with a 3" kit. I'm currently running stockers because I want to go higher and bigger. If you plan on going bigger, no sense in spending a ton of cash on rubber you probably will not have more than a year. Also, with bigger tires, remember you speedo will be off and so will your odometer, unless you replace the speedo gear. You'll need newer LCAs(lower control arms) but I recommend getting the RC Series 2 kit. comes with most everything you'll need. New U-bolts is a must as well. About 7 can of PB Blast, or equivalent. spray about 2 weeks ahead of install time. and a swear jar. you'll make your money back from the lift with this jar.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

eriejeep nice, Mine is green as well but yours looks nice with the lift and black rims/tires.

I was debating if I should go with a 3in or a 2in. Since I mostly do road driving and on the weekends I want to hit up some off roading. It just seems like a 2in lift isint so much. Would I be able to fit 31s with the 2in lift ?

Eriejeep mentioned that I need new bolts, so the kit does not come with them ? Kinda weird.

If you guys could can you post a link to a full kit that includes everything I need, and I think if I go 2in I shouldnt need a t-case drop or longer sway bar links, or any of that so il save some money.

Anybody got any pics with a 2in lift?

hehe swear jar lol
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by huntsman
eriejeep nice, Mine is green as well but yours looks nice with the lift and black rims/tires.

I was debating if I should go with a 3in or a 2in. Since I mostly do road driving and on the weekends I want to hit up some off roading. It just seems like a 2in lift isint so much. Would I be able to fit 31s with the 2in lift ?

Eriejeep mentioned that I need new bolts, so the kit does not come with them ? Kinda weird.

If you guys could can you post a link to a full kit that includes everything I need, and I think if I go 2in I shouldnt need a t-case drop or longer sway bar links, or any of that so il save some money.

Anybody got any pics with a 2in lift?

hehe swear jar lol
Kits were mentioned in posts on what kit to get.
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html
That one is what I am running and it is just fine. You will just need to buy U-bolts, which is like $7. Honestly, do not lift your Jeep the "cheap" way. Save up for a good kit and go from there. If you just throw pennies at your Jeep's Suspention, that's all you'll get out of it, low performance and a crappy ride. Why do you not want to run a TC drop? And even with a 2" lift, you will benefit from longer sway bar links and the TC drop. Those are the things that cost the least amount of money. Do not make them your breaking point on buying a lift kit. Just because you bought it, doesn't mean you have to install it right then and there the day you get it.

Last edited by brendancfarrell; 05-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

I also have the series II kit. Mine actually came with 2 sets of U-bolts so I would call and ask when ordering. Also it came with brackets to drop the sway bar where it mounts to the body. I used longer links though because if you have a front skid the sway bar brackets won't work (plus I broke the stock ones haha) Like mentioned, use PB blaster or the like, it makes all the difference. As far as transfer case drops, get one. From what I've read the newer body styles 97-01 have more affects from lifts.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Year: 1995 &2000

I got my lifts for both xjs from a web site all it come with was front coils and aal with u bolts, I added shocks later then lca's. My 2000 I had to get a adjustable trackbar since my axle was not center and rubbed driver side fender flair plus the factory one is worn out it's on 31s with 15x8 chrome mods with 3.5 backspace .
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you take at Zone's....thats coming from someone who just installed a RC 4.5" kit.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a RC 3in lift, what else I need ?