Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkin of welding my spider gears. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Thinkin of welding my spider gears. Any thoughts?

Ny tips would b great
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

if it is street driven at all, it is a bad idea
Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
Why? I have always had my rears Lincoln locked.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

x2. not worth breaking axles..
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

this is entirely an opinion.

Originally Posted by customzj73
Why? I have always had my rears Lincoln locked.
x2 I welded my spiders on my current project 8.25 29 spline, to drive IN winter with an aussie up front.

Originally Posted by torque062
x2. not worth breaking axles..
no different than a locker when its locked as far as breaking axles.

Okay. I'm gonna start with saying, DO NOT listen to people who read internet forums then give advice based on what they read. First hand experience or bust when it comes to important topics such as these.

Dosen't matter where you start a welded dif thread, everyone whos read its a bad idea will come in and say its a bad idea.

I raced dirt oval for a decade in 400 - 800hp cars (different divisions) I ran both spools and welded rears and never once lost the gears in a rear end.

Ive been upside down and side over side, and hit on the wheel hard enough to snap the axle at the edge of the housing but the spider gears were fine.

I spun the mudders on my jeep brake torqued in the driveway and didnt break an axle, if anything buts serious strain on a dif, its a burnout.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by The Blacksmith

x2 I welded my spiders on my current project 8.25 29 spline, to drive IN winter with an aussie up front.

no different than a locker when its locked as far as breaking axles.

Okay. I'm gonna start with saying, DO NOT listen to people who read internet forums then give advice based on what they read. First hand experience or bust when it comes to important topics such as these.

Dosen't matter where you start a welded dif thread, everyone whos read its a bad idea will come in and say its a bad idea.

I raced dirt oval for a decade in 400 - 800hp cars (different divisions) I ran both spools and welded rears and never once lost the gears in a rear end.

Ive been upside down and side over side, and hit on the wheel hard enough to snap the axle at the edge of the housing but the spider gears were fine.

I spun the mudders on my jeep brake torqued in the driveway and didnt break an axle, if anything buts serious strain on a dif, its a burnout.
Wow thanks. Ya I have a 2wd an its a dd but I love mudding etc. And I get stuck a lot an have no money lol. So I think I'm gonna do this
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.o

As long as you don't mind tires chirping in parking lots or sharp corners. I've never had a problem with mine I just drive it a little easier on the road. But the gain off road is totally worth it. With an 8.25 29 spline.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0HO

Everyone one I know that has a wielded rear *****ed about the tires they go thru and that's it. But they can wheel w/ best and spent a lot less $
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

I dont recommend it for a street drivenn vehicle.. but depending on what axle it is.. depeneds on the way I would do it.

if it is a bearing retained axle... I like to weld the spider gears together.. then fill the teeth in on spiders.. Then I will add some 1/4 plate to it.

If it is a clip axle I like to weld the spiders to the carrier as well as filling the teeth.

I prefer using my stick welder with some 6010. I do my best to try and degrease it first as best I can... I also pull the carrier out and weld it up on a bench.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by KevinJKing
As long as you don't mind tires chirping in parking lots or sharp corners. I've never had a problem with mine I just drive it a little easier on the road. But the gain off road is totally worth it. With an 8.25 29 spline.
Yes, this. If youve never driven one before, make sure you take it easy and elarn how its gonna respond in all conditions. Take it extra easy on corners and go to a big parking lot and work on your turning radius without making the tires chirp, just so you get an idea.

It will also make the rear want to slide out more in the wet/ snow / ice, so you'll have to practice that if youve never driven lsd / posi / locker / welded / spooled before.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

So why is your advice any better?

I guess I wouldnt come out and start bashing other users opinions right away claiming that we dont have any experience.

Either way, it will matter on how well the spider gears are welded. Clean everything very well before you start if you do decide to weld them. The amount of stress it can handle will depend greatly on that. And if it is daily driven, take it easy on the streets.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by PingPong
I dont recommend it for a street drivenn vehicle.. but depending on what axle it is.. depeneds on the way I would do it.

if it is a bearing retained axle... I like to weld the spider gears together.. then fill the teeth in on spiders.. Then I will add some 1/4 plate to it.

If it is a clip axle I like to weld the spiders to the carrier as well as filling the teeth.

I prefer using my stick welder with some 6010. I do my best to try and degrease it first as best I can... I also pull the carrier out and weld it up on a bench.
brake cleaner works well at getting the inside of the diffs pretty clean.
I also like to stick weld the spiders, just because you can get into them better than with a mig.

Originally Posted by torque062
So why is your advice any better?

I guess I wouldnt come out and start bashing other users opinions right away claiming that we dont have any experience.

Either way, it will matter on how well the spider gears are welded. Clean everything very well before you start if you do decide to weld them. The amount of stress it can handle will depend greatly on that. And if it is daily driven, take it easy on the streets.
Tons of experience with the matter on and of road, you'll find these threads everywhere and 90% of the reponses are people posting what thier brothers mothers uncles friends cousin vinny did on pirate or some other forum that they read, with no first hand experience.

The quality of the job is a major part in longevity as you said.

I've probbaly welded about 20 rear ends in my day.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: blown 4.7

brake cleaner works well at getting the inside of the diffs pretty clean.
I also like to stick weld the spiders, just because you can get into them better than with a mig.

Tons of experience with the matter on and of road, you'll find these threads everywhere and 90% of the reponses are people posting what thier brothers mothers uncles friends cousin vinny did on pirate or some other forum that they read, with no first hand experience.

The quality of the job is a major part in longevity as you said.

I've probbaly welded about 20 rear ends in my day.
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
people need to be very careful with brake cleaner
Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Brake cleaner is a no go when welding!!! big bad idea! There are a lot of other ways to degrease parts without risking nervous system damage. Rubbing Alcohol is a better option, of course it has to dry first.

Just keep in mind that if you weld it and dont like it, you have to buy a new set of gears and /or carrier, whereas a mi.ispool is cheap and isnt permanant ( not an option on some axles).
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Registered Users

Well yeah obviously you dont want to weld the dif right after you spray it full of brake cleaner lol.

I'm saying it works really well for the first cleaning of everything.

Quick Reply: Thinkin of welding my spider gears. Any thoughts?