Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tcase problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 .... Soon to be a SBC
Default Tcase problems.....

Bare with me please.... but i am having major issues with my tacse and wondering if its an internal thing or linkage adjustment. But when in 4H or 4L and in drive it slips and pops really lound when under power..... but when I put it in reverse I lose 4x4 all together and no popping or sliping noise. Where should I start looking....
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Sounds like something more internal. I would think if it was a linkage issue, you'd have the same problem forward or backward. I could be wrong though. I recently had the snap ring on the back of the output shaft break and it caused all sorts of weird issues like that. It allowed the shaft to move in and out, which ground away the teeth on the oil pump and destroyed the shift forks. It's easy enough to pull off the rear half of the case and take a look.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

.... easy check for ya to help decipher. pull the fill plug on your t-case and stick your finger in there... if your t-case fluid is shiny... something internal prolly... if it looks pretty good then adjustment...

I've had my t-case shift linkage get out of alignment a number of times and all i do is re-adjust and its back on the trails to play...

actually funny story.. i recently was out and about with my Comanche and was playing pretty hard on some power lines, sand, mud, creek crossings and such and then my t-case was really acting up... constantly grinding, and slipping in and out of gear.... pulled it out and swapped it with another... only to tear down the old one and find nothing was wrong.... after installing the newer t-case had the same grinding popping issues... re-adjusted the linkage and it was golden....

Its also alot easier to adjust the linkage than it is to swap the t-case lol