Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Tank 340lph Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 6.0 LQ9
Default In Tank 340lph Fuel Pump

I have a question regarding fueling. The first question you guys might have is why so much, I have 2 more liters and 2 more cylinders over the stock 4.0 thanks to a LQ9. It is currently in a 2000 XJ.

The stock fuel pump works fine now as is but I am wanting something different and more fun. I want to put a turbo 5.3 backed by a TR6060 so ideally with power goals I will probably need a 340lph fuel pump. I am not too familliar with messing with fuel systems on Jeeps so bear with me. Are there any realtivly simple in-tank pumps that can out put what I am looking for?
Old 12-26-2019, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Aeromotive makes a cheap ($120 range) 340 pump. Supposed to support 850 crank hp. Same size as the factory pump. They make them with different inlets so you will have to see which one matches yours. You may have problems with it making too much psi at idle if the factory psi regulator cant keep up. I dont know though. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Aeromotive makes a cheap ($120 range) 340 pump. Supposed to support 850 crank hp. Same size as the factory pump. They make them with different inlets so you will have to see which one matches yours. You may have problems with it making too much psi at idle if the factory psi regulator cant keep up. I dont know though. Good luck!
I plan on almost redoing the whole fuel system from scratch including the wiring when I go to use the Holley Terminator system. Mostly doing this to simplify it in my head and not keep chasing weak links in the system. I was thinking of using some kind inline regulator to for pressure close up by the fuel rails, as opposed to factory.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Factory jeep fuel psi is about 15 psi less than the LS engine would have from the factory. An external fuel psi regulator would be a good thing. The Holley system is a waste of money. If you have a lq9, just use the factory red/blue ecu (flash required) with a custom harness and call it a day. Way less of a headache and cheaper. PM me if you need anything. Ls swaps are my specialty.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Factory jeep fuel psi is about 15 psi less than the LS engine would have from the factory. An external fuel psi regulator would be a good thing. The Holley system is a waste of money. If you have a lq9, just use the factory red/blue ecu (flash required) with a custom harness and call it a day. Way less of a headache and cheaper. PM me if you need anything. Ls swaps are my specialty.
It’s already running fine with the trimmed harness and tuned pcm so it works fine now, but anything over stock power I would think wiuld be a strain on the fuel system.

But I am curious, in your opinion why do think the Holley system is a waste of money? I was mostly interested in the simplicity of tuning with boost. I know the Terminator system is not really tuning to an extent, not like the Dominator or HP tuners anyways.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Its a waste of money cause the factory ECU can do basically everything the Holley can. You can easily program the factory ECU to use a 2 bar map sensor and then just tune away for boost. The only thing it wont do is control a boost solenoid like the Holley will. Not the end of the world though. Honestly, if you do want to go aftermarket, spend the extra money on something like an AEM Infinity. Thats what I run in my car and I love it for many different reasons.

But if you are going to do boost, you really need an external fuel psi regulator so that you can use the boost port on it to raise fuel psi in boost. 60 lb injectors will be good for nearly 800hp that way. The stock truck injectors are done at about 450hp @ 58psi.