Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T&T Customs Long Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Question T&T Customs Long Arms?

So, I got an XJ builders book a while back, and it's got TONS of great articles in it. One of the things that they talk about in it is suspension geometry (when to get different short arm kits, mid arm kits, and a good write up about long arm kits). The author mentioned T&T Customs Inc long arm kits, and showed them on a Jeep in the article as an example. They seem to change the approach angle and mount point of the LA kit.
So why post with all this info already put out for me? I'm curious. I am terribly picky and research more than a college grad student any purchase I make. Esp when it comes to a lengthy investment. Have any of you installed this kit? Have any preference for any other specific kits? Also they have a LA coil conversion kit that acts the same for the rear. Again, looking for advice on these.

My goal here is maximum clearance with a smaller lift. I'm not opposed to cutting and welding weird stuff in the cab, as I have seen some do. More or less just seeing what others may say about them.

Links:
rear
https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...ee_tnt_customs
Front
https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...01_tnt_customs
Old 10-11-2017, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

They make good stuff as far as I know. One thing though on the rear kit, and this is common with any triangulated four link, the exhaust pipe and muffler is a problem. A friend of mine ended up deleting his cat and running the straight pipe up the tranny tunnel to get around all the arms. Other than that, an awesome kit. Don't forget you will need shocks and brake lines as well as sway bar links and track bar for the front. The extras will add up. The rear kit will also need new upper shock mounts to get that much flex
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Their front kit is one of my favorites because of the ground clearance if you have 33s or smaller tires.But for the price i can get a bolt in 3 link which is better to me since it has less parts and should flex and cycle easier.And honestly unless your trying to build some pro rock crawler a rear 4 link is over kill to me.The right rear leaf spring set up will flex more then enough for the avg crawlers needs and its cheaper and bolt on.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm looking to take my Jeep on a trail my previous two babies haven't been capable of... Very difficult and very technical. YouTube BusyWild Elby Hills... That's where I'm wanting to take my beast
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 AM
CF Veteran

I suppose it depends on how much inspection you have to pass where you are. Metro areas can be tough
Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Reminds me of dirt turtle off road park here.Honestly id skip a jeep for a full size bronco or k5 blazer.both are easier to have a big block and 1 tons and 40s or bigger.You can do a 1 ton swap with a small block in a xj but the price gets up there fast.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Those are typically to wide, some trails a Cherokee squeaks through... K5 won't do some of the other trails I like. Hence why I just wanna focus on building up my Cherokee. I have even entertained the thought if getting a cj7 to go out trailing, but I don't like how narrow and short they are compared to the cherokee
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
I suppose it depends on how much inspection you have to pass where you are. Metro areas can be tough
Only thing to worry about is mud flaps, and that's only in some counties. See a lot of slip-in mudflaps out here(piece of square tubing with an attached mudflaps slips over a post and secures). Also don't have emissions in my county.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Reminds me of dirt turtle off road park here.Honestly id skip a jeep for a full size bronco or k5 blazer.both are easier to have a big block and 1 tons and 40s or bigger.You can do a 1 ton swap with a small block in a xj but the price gets up there fast.
The only thing about full width bodies is the damage they get from deep holes, stumps etc.

Originally Posted by SirCyber
Only thing to worry about is mud flaps, and that's only in some counties. See a lot of slip-in mudflaps out here(piece of square tubing with an attached mudflaps slips over a post and secures). Also don't have emissions in my county.
I hear ya. You are fortunate. Here we have to cover our tires, use flaps and have smog inspections. As mentioned before, a true three link will articulate better in the front. I have one I built and it rides much better through the bumps and flexes better
Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Depending the trails width if you get more body damage in a full size vs a jeep.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Yup we have some very narrow trails here... Had a guy wheeling with a full size bronco, there were places he couldn't go, had to find alternate routes for him or just not go certain places. He was at least more respectful than another guy, had a full size Chevy c-20 and he just made his own trails... Which is a huge no no !!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

k20 btw a c20 is 2 wheel drive,I have wheeled in full sizes and a yj before and i rather have the bigger truck.That yj had a ok small block and 1 tons geared right but lacked torque.The pos bronco i use to wheel had a ok 460 in it and i never got stuck with it places that yj did with the same size tires.Tight parts and small turns the full size did suck but it was rusted out i didn't care about beating it on a tree.Thats just the thing about off road nothing will be prefect and your gonna break things and bang the body up in time.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

True, just full size vehicles like a k10 or a full size bronco don't work as well here. All the trails have tight turns and narrow trails. Most you see out here is Tacoma's, Cherokees, and wranglers... Sometimes you will see Geo trackers built up. And lots of Bob tailed rigs, but all from smaller bases. That's here, I totally agree that nothing is perfect everywhere. Currently the only out of state place I might go is Moab
Old 10-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have the front end 'upgrade' kit -- just the skids and arms. Install wasn't too bad, but took a lot of drilling since I already had frame stiffeners welded in. Used a right-angle drill and a step bit. I've done Evans Creek, Naches, Walker Valley, Manastash, Tahuya, and a handful of other small area trails with it and have had no problems. Haven't done Elbe yet, but did it years back in my YJ.

I'm actually thinking of selling it and getting a 3-link in a few months. Probably won't install it until winter is over, so if you still haven't settled on a kit by then, let me know and I'll give you a good deal on mine.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Wow I might just wait for that to happen. Thanks!