Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

T case linkage probLems go with a Novak?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default T case linkage probLems go with a Novak?

So I have a 98 xj and a couple weeks ago I put it in 4wd and it made a terrible pop pop pop noise as it was driving it would not go back into 2wd so I dropped the front shaft and removed the linkage I picked up a linkage for a np231 I have a 242 and it still blinded up would a Novak cable linkage fix my issue or is there a bigger problem? It will properly engage under the jeep manually how hard are these to install?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I got the Novak cable linkage for one of my jeeps. I love it. Not too bad to install, and once you get it dialed in, it works flawlessly. IIRC, the 231 & 242 linkages are a little different, so no real surprise there.

The sound it was making in 4WD is a bit of a concern though.... I would troubleshoot that first. Since your front shaft is already out, I would manually verify if all the settings work on your 242 (i.e. put it in 2WD; drive. Put it in Full-Time; Drive. Put it in Part-Time, etc....) so that you are not trying to remedy a busted case with a new linkage.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Ya I figured the linkages would be different but I gave it a try I have a feeling it wasn't fully engaging bc manually doing it under the jeep it works fine do the instructions with the Novak show how to tune it ? I just wanna make sure that's my best bet as it is a lil pricey do it shift smoother than stock?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM

With the old linkage it would only go into 4 full time and none of the others I could tell the linkage was bent and binding up bad not to mention the bushings were shot