Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are t case drop kits bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default are t case drop kits bad?

So I just put my rear lift on this weekend. It was a loot more with than I thought it would be so my front end won't go on until next weekend. But I am getting vibrations staying at 20 mph. I have a 1 inch transfer case drop kit I haven't put on yet. Should this fix the vibes? And are t case drops bad for for your jeep
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM

I know it fixed my vibes, I put the 1inch on mine as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

T case drops are a band aid and sure they'll fix some vibes but can cause others. They reduce the angle on the rear shaft but increase it on the front which causes u joints to wear faster and it will make your transmission and motor mounts wear faster since they will now be sitting at an angle they weren't made for. That's just a start. Save up and do it right and get a SYE.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by xjmarc
T case drops are a band aid and sure they'll fix some vibes but can cause others. They reduce the angle on the rear shaft but increase it on the front which causes u joints to wear faster and it will make your transmission and motor mounts wear faster since they will now be sitting at an angle they weren't made for. That's just a start. Save up and do it right and get a SYE.
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM

I didn't know they caused problems when I ordered it. I've heard other ppl on the forum say their vibes just went away after a few weeks. Do you know if this is common? Does one inch drop on the transfer case really affect things that bad? Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by johnson21
I know it fixed my vibes, I put the 1inch on mine as well.
How long have you had your t case drops? I've been hearing things about it wearing on a lot of other things. I really want a smooth ride but I don't think I can afford/install a sye my self! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by bzeug

I didn't know they caused problems when I ordered it. I've heard other ppl on the forum say their vibes just went away after a few weeks. Do you know if this is common? Does one inch drop on the transfer case really affect things that bad? Thanks!!
Yes they wear out the motor and trans mount much faster. Proper way to make less problems is to just install an SYE kit (most common way) or if you have some mechanical ability doing a hack n tap.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-92
Yes they wear out the motor and trans mount much faster. Proper way to make less problems is to just install an SYE kit (most common way) or if you have some mechanical ability doing a hack n tap.
Man I just don't have the four to 5 hundred for an sye. Until I can afford one of those what do you think is less hard on my xj?.. Driving with the vibrations or putting my drop kit in there
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

How long have you had your t case drops? I've been hearing things about it wearing on a lot of other things. I really want a smooth ride but I don't think I can afford/install a sye my self! Thanks!
Ive had mine in for 7 years .I did have to replace my original motor mount because they wore out. Another way to decrease angles is rear shackles it will pitch rear youke up. The best thing is a sye it helps angles and in my case eliminated fluid from seeping out if I had to run with out rear shaft.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Man I just don't have the four to 5 hundred for an sye. Until I can afford one of those what do you think is less hard on my xj?.. Driving with the vibrations or putting my drop kit in there
Deff putting a drop kit in is better than vibration issue.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

$4-500!?!??
I need to raise my prices....A LOT!!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

You can find them for quite a bit less than 5 bills. Anywhere from 150 to 200 is average.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

You can find them for quite a bit less than 5 bills. Anywhere from 150 to 200 is average.
x2.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

the $4-500 one are including a new rear ds i believe
Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default T-case drop

Go ahead and put the drop in and it will probably take care of your vibes. Mine has been running with it ever since it was lifted (bought it that way 2 years ago). But realize one thing it is just a Band-Aid. It is increasing the angle on your front drive shaft and will be putting a lot of stress on u-joints.

I am going to be doing an SYE/drive shaft when the 8.8 goes it, but that will be quite a while. I figure I will roll the dice until I have the $$$$. But it sits most of the time so I should be OK till then (not a DD)

Quick Reply: are t case drop kits bad?