Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super 35

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Super 35

I'm thinking about doing the Super 35 upgrade. With 235s and my off-road, uh, style, I don't think I really need it but a locker would be nice and as long as I'm doing the locker, I might as well do something to shut up all the 8.25 fan boys who can't resist telling me my axle will explode. In addition to the S 35, I plan to lightly truss but I have a few questions. The Super 35 kit I'm getting comes with 1.31" diameter 30-spline axles and an ARB locker.

1. Will the locker affect tire wear on my DD or will it perform as a normal, open diff when the locker isn't engaged?
2. I've got a small (high-pressure) air cylinder, can I use that coupled to a regulator in place of an on-board compressor to engage the locker?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

$1300 for a D35 build, before installation cost. I mean.. it's definitely not going to explode. but wow that's a lot of liquid funds going into one of the most unanimously garbage axles ever created

it's your money

when the ARB is off, your diff is open. no tire wear you'll never notice it
Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

It's not about being a 8.25 fanboy but its just using a bit of common sense and reasoning that the money you put in to a super 35, you could have used instead on a 29 spline(which stock form is already way stronger) and the money you save you can buy a locker and truss and be way ahead of that 35. Or use that money and get a 44
Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Atmos
$1300 for a D35 build, before installation cost. I mean.. it's definitely not going to explode. but wow that's a lot of liquid funds going into one of the most unanimously garbage axles ever created

it's your money

when the ARB is off, your diff is open. no tire wear you'll never notice it
Exactly!

Price the 8.25:
Axle: $50-$150
Locker: $200-800
Truss: $100

At most you're looking at $1000 and that's still cheaper and way stronger than that 35.

44 would be about the same price as the 35 maybe more but that 44 is way ahead of both.

Then there is the 8.8 and its cheap option of being a heavy duty axle to use, just requires a bit of fab
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

I'm not saying he needs to go get an 8.25. but I'm also not saying he should do a super 35 kit either..

if you're a person that's hell bent on keeping the D35, at most just toss a tru-track in there and build a truss for it. wait and see what happens. I wager it will hold up just fine. but I still don't recommend it..

F1- send this guy a $200 offer for a D35 tru track that he clearly cannot sell (notice the resale value of D35 parts) and try that out with a truss. I believe the split is 3.55+
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...-35-socal.html
Old 05-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I'm thinking about doing the Super 35 upgrade. With 235s and my off-road, uh, style, I don't think I really need it but a locker would be nice
all this for 30" tires?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtyjerz
all this for 30" tires?
No. All this for a locker. The beefier axles represent a very small fraction of the overall cost of the kit. My tires are 29". I'm not hell-bent on staying with my D35 but there's nothing wrong with it. The ARB locker for the 8.25 is $1050 plus the price of a used axle with an unknown history. I just replaced all of the drum hardware (cylinders, drums, shoes, springs) on my D35... that would be wasted. I guess I can't justify scrapping a perfectly good axle (we've already established it isn't worth **** on the used market) for one that is arguably no better just so I can say I don't have a D35.

I'm assuming the remaining weakness in the Dana axle (after upgrade) would be the smaller axle tubes? How likely is that to affect me?

Last edited by F1Addict; 05-03-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

No. All this for a locker. The beefier axles represent a very small fraction of the overall cost of the kit. My tires are 29". I'm not hell-bent on staying with my D35 but there's nothing wrong with it. The ARB locker for the 8.25 is $1050 plus the price of a used axle with an unknown history. I just replaced all of the drum hardware (cylinders, drums, shoes, springs) on my D35... that would be wasted. I guess I can't justify scrapping a perfectly good axle (we've already established it isn't worth **** on the used market) for one that is arguably no better just so I can say I don't have a D35.

I'm assuming the remaining weakness in the Dana axle (after upgrade) would be the smaller axle tubes? How likely is that to affect me?
The tubes is often what causes failure, along with the smaller ring gear. The tubes are weak, and can bend/flex which can cause gear deflection.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM

X2 Agreeing with above posts

1) you can very easily move all your new brake hardware to the 8.25 ( you dont have to buy all the stuff again....

2) " unknown history"... unknown history of what? what roads it went down, if it ever had its heart broken by a cheating shock tube? you know that when you put in a new carrier i.e ARB'S or OX's or whoevers. you will be replacing all of the bearing and wear parts in the axle.... you are aware of this right? the only thing you dont "have to" replace are the axle shaft bearings and they are super cheap and so easy to do its almost silly not to when you are spending all that time and money to install a new carrier anyway.

3) consider giving the JY the D35 when you buy the 8.25.... worst case you will only pay 150$ for a C8.25 i would be willing to bet they will give you something for a good D35.

4) Consider an OX instead of an ARB, then you dont have to install a silly compressor and find a place to mount an air tank in your XJ. all the benifets of the ARB with none of its weaknesses. roughly the same cost if not possibly a little cheaper, no air compressor, no tank, no chance of an air leak on the trail that you HAVE to fix or not have a locker to get home. plus it comes with a bad *** dif cover.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just jeep it, as long as you know how to built this you will be just fine
Attached Thumbnails Super 35-image-3546642048.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Stlavguy
X2 Agreeing with above posts

1) you can very easily move all your new brake hardware to the 8.25 ( you dont have to buy all the stuff again....
I didn't know that.

Originally Posted by Stlavguy

2) " unknown history"... unknown history of what? if it ever had its heart broken by a cheating shock tube?
LOL! I was thinking more about the numerous YouTube videos I've seen of people seeing how far they can jump their XJ before parting it out but now you've got me all worried about emotional distress.

Since the general consensus is that I'll be no better off with the Super 35 upgrade, I'm just going to save myself all that money and hassle and stick with my stock D35 until it breaks. I won't complain if that never happens. It's taken me some pretty amazing places and hasn't exploded, not even once. I've been stuck before and just thought a locker would be fun.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:19 PM

I didn't know that.

LOL! I was thinking more about the numerous YouTube videos I've seen of people seeing how far they can jump their XJ before parting it out but now you've got me all worried about emotional distress.

Since the general consensus is that I'll be no better off with the Super 35 upgrade, I'm just going to save myself all that money and hassle and stick with my stock D35 until it breaks. I won't complain if that never happens. It's taken me some pretty amazing places and hasn't exploded, not even once. I've been stuck before and just thought a locker would be fun.
i know what you mean about cars in the jy and there youtube history, but thats why i go to the junk yards and hunt for an axle instead of letting the guys blindly pull me one. its pretty easy to see if a jeep has been hillbilly hill jumped or not.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 PM

and by all means dont not do anything......
keep on driving yours as-is in the short term, buy a 8.25 when you see one cheap, tear it down at your own pace, wait till someone is selling a rebuild kit cheap, or a kit and a locker together used, and you will have a great axle ready to go done all setup. then it will be a case of unbolt and roll out, and roll in the new one.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ur jeep after all the super, chromoly, Harding , what ever you like to call it,
I trust a dana 35 like I trust my ex-wife
Attached Thumbnails Super 35-image-284263826.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I'm thinking about doing the Super 35 upgrade. With 235s and my off-road, uh, style, I don't think I really need it but a locker would be nice and as long as I'm doing the locker, I might as well do something to shut up all the 8.25 fan boys who can't resist telling me my axle will explode. In addition to the S 35, I plan to lightly truss but I have a few questions. The Super 35 kit I'm getting comes with 1.31" diameter 30-spline axles and an ARB locker.

1. Will the locker affect tire wear on my DD or will it perform as a normal, open diff when the locker isn't engaged?
2. I've got a small (high-pressure) air cylinder, can I use that coupled to a regulator in place of an on-board compressor to engage the locker?
I saw that There's a dana 44 sitting in the junkyard. And they sell for 120-150 why not just wait till u find that? Ionno I'm just thinking out loud.

Quick Reply: Super 35