Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Stroker or not?

ok so this winter im guna put a rebuilt motor in my xj. the motor is sitting in my shop right now and i only need a few more things to put it back together. it has a stock crank and rods in it currently along with a Comp Cam, bored over 0.030" and a complete head and valve job. what i was guna get for it was a set of Harland Sharp roller rockers, and a double roller timing chain setup for it also. but i cant decide weather to do it or not, spend a little more time finding more parts, or just put the pan on and dont worry about it
Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

not quite sure what you mean? what you describe is not stroking it. to build a stroker you need the crankshaft and rods from a 4.2l. you also need to make sure the math works out to get the right compression ratio or you'll get pinging.

i can't really give you advice, only what i plan on. my next engine will definitely be a stroker. if i can get the room together i might start building it this winter. i likely won't be going for anything extra like roller rockers, but i will get a cam for it.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by biztyke
not quite sure what you mean? what you describe is not stroking it. to build a stroker you need the crankshaft and rods from a 4.2l. you also need to make sure the math works out to get the right compression ratio or you'll get pinging.

i can't really give you advice, only what i plan on. my next engine will definitely be a stroker. if i can get the room together i might start building it this winter. i likely won't be going for anything extra like roller rockers, but i will get a cam for it.
He stated how it sits currently, and asked if he should make it a stroker.

I say, if you are rebuilding it anyways, why not thrown in the 4.2L crank/rods.
I personally am going to be installing a GM Gen III/IV V8 in my XJ, but I also do not have a spare 242 to build either.