Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker Build working except for transmission and gauges

Old 06-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Stroker Build working except for transmission and gauges

Hi folks,

I have a 1999 XJ sport, and I recently rebuilt my motor to a 4.7 stroker. After putting it back together the engine runs fine, but my transmission is stuck in third gear. I can get it into second by putting in low gear, but D doesn't go above third. I have no tach, no speedometer, or any gauges for that matter. The blinker lights, CEL, and airbag light all work, but nothing else does. When I connect a snap on SOLUS scan tool, I have no communication. I saw a forum where someone had the same issue and replaced the shift solenoids to fix it, but I feel like my issue is a grounding issue, possibly for the TCU. The wiring diagram from AllData says the TCU grounds near the starter, but I see no such ground. Perhaps I hooked it up incorrectly, does anyone have a pic of that ground (G117) or had the same issue? Part of the PCM uses the same ground so I believe they may be related. Does anyone have a picture of a ground cable near the starter? I cannot find anything on my Jeep the way it is now.