Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel play wont go away!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default steering wheel play wont go away!

so my jeep has always had an issue when it came to play in the steering wheel. alot of ppl told me they fully expected it to be my old ZJ V8 tie rod steering upgrade and its ****ty tie rod ends. and the fact i had no braces on my steerin box. so when the day came where my old steering box finally bit the dust i upgrades almost my entire steering to eliminate the "play" rustys heavy duty tie rod, new oem steering box, rustys and jcr steering box braces. new drag link heavy duty sleeve from rustys. after installing everything and getting my alignment the play was even worse when turning to the drivers side.. when turning pass it was tighter then before. so we adjusted my steerib box and tightened up my steering a bit. the jeep will drive straight when i let go of the wheel so its not the alignment itself that the issue. there was still plenty of play but with it being tighter to turn the wheel it was alot less noticable.. well in the weeks since doing that my steering has completely loosened back up and now when turning to the drivers side i hear a slight clunking noise and i can feel slight vibrations and can feel what feels like metal on metal rubbing.. from the looks of it my drag link ends are going but not shot yet could that be the issue? i just replaced my axle joints in the fall so not those are not the issue. iv been hearing recently it could be my ball joints or wheel bearings? could either of these be the issue after what i described? if not what would be anyones suggestions? im lifted 6.5" long arms if that helps.