Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering upgrade

What is the best choice for steering upgrades. I don't want anything crazy I wanna do something like the rustys conversion with the solid tie rod and then a bar from the steering Box to the solid bar. But who makes the best setup for the best price?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Get a tierod from a V-8 ZJ from your local junkyard and swap it out with your POS OEM XJ tierod, and call it a day. I have a front locker, 4.56 gears and 33 inch tires...and wheel like a madman...and I have never bent this setup in 2 years. I tacoed 3 stock XJ tierods before switching.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM

I have read about the zj conversion but I wantin to go aftermarket and beefy... I know rustys sells it for about 220. But I didt know what other vendors had to offer and I was hopin to get some tips on other kits
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM

the ZJ V8 steering parts are beefy, that's the point of the above suggestion.

it's your money, but an effective and cheap solution is the ZJ V8 steering parts.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by ThE_CaPtaIn
I have read about the zj conversion but I wantin to go aftermarket and beefy... I know rustys sells it for about 220. But I didt know what other vendors had to offer and I was hopin to get some tips on other kits
Rusty's setup is crap.

There is no good option for XJ steering that is bolt-on and actually addresses the issues without creating other issues (ie: clearance).

If you are ready/willing/able to do some extensive modifications and some fabrication to your front end then there is a multitude of options (1-Ton TREs, high steer, crossover steering, etc.) but none of the ones worth anything just bolt on. You have to drill, cut, weld and/or ream to get any of them on.

If on the other hand you are just looking for heavier steering without any interest in actually correcting the inherent issues involved with the worthless Y steering linkage then look at Currie or the ZJ V8 setup.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking in to the same thing. I was considering the ZJ tie rod as well but I've read that the tie rod END is still the weak link to that set up. Is this true and is it the same TRE that is on the cherokee? I'd like to know this way if I ever need one I know to order it specific for the ZJ set up. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM

What is so wrong with the rustys setup? I run it on my 88 but it has never seen pavement but it takes some abuse and hasn't gave in yet... But like I said im lookin to upgrade my 01 cuz its just worn out and my dd at the moment I have a torn acl and lcl and am about to have surgery so ne huge modification while I'm completely capable of it won't be in any condition to for the next few months todo it so im looking For something similar to the rustys kit I just didn't know if there was a better kit out there or not.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 PM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/zj-...843/#post49797
Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM

What is so wrong with the rustys setup?
Research it . . .

Seriously.

EDIT: And the answer depends on which Rusty's steering you have but both setups have flaws.

Last edited by Evil Drew M; 07-27-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM

i searched and didnt find very many negetive post about rustys. some people said it was bad bud didnt say why. this is goin on my dd and it gets wheeled but not hard. i dont need 1 ton steering just wanna improve over stock. i like the looks of the serious off road kid but u gotta ream ur knuckles and its about 60 bucks more than the rustys kit.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No you don't have to ream the knuckles, just order the inserts. Drill out the knuckles and pitman arm to 7/8" and put the inserts in.

E-Z
Old 07-27-2011, 04:45 PM

i searched and didnt find very many negetive post about rustys.
There are plenty . . .

#1 - Heim joints. Some people love them and think they are **** but most find them an issue for steering. They loosen up and you never get a good alignment after that. Death wobble all over them. They also bind sooner in the arc of travel than TREs do.

#2 - The OTK has not 1 but 2 rods mounted to a single stud in single-sheer. Plenty of other setups do this. I don't like any of them that do it.

#3 - Their tie-rod setup is ridiculous. There is NO way to get an effective toe setting with it. Toe is one of the big causes of death wobble.

it gets wheeled but not hard.
Then get the ZJ V8 tie rod and be done with it. You obviously don't have a need for serious setup.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

X 543 zj v8 tiered.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You can ask any guy on the Cherokeeforum from the PACNORWEST chapter. I have 4wheeled with most of them and most of the NAXJA guys in Washington state. I beat the $hit out of my Jeeps drivetrain on every wheeling trip we go on. There is nothing that I have not and wiil not try (short of deep water, that is just stupid)....if I feel the urge to do that, I will buy a boat. As you can see from the pic, the ZJ tierod is just as thick as the OEM XJ Draglink. The XJ and ZJ Draglink is the same. The "VERY" obvious weak link in the XJ steering linkage is the stock dinky tierod. Unless you are running 38 inch tires, the ZJ tierod upgrade is all you need......and if you are running 44s the point is moot because you should have them attached to 1 ton axles that will come with the 1 ton steering when you get them. So, short of 38s the ZJ draglink will keep you steering straight for a fraction of what you will spand for an aftermarket setup. Remember it's always your choice with your rig and your money. I hope this helped.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Oops, forgot the pic.

Last edited by BuckB91XJ; 07-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering upgrade