Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spent 2K and Have Same Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Spent 2K and Have Same Noise

Long story, but I will keep it short. What would cause a loud drone (sounds like it is coming from the Tcase....mostly right under driver seat) when decelerating (actually does it at all speeds, but is extremely loud when decelerating). It is most noticeable when slowing down at highway speeds. It gives off a sound like a bad bearing (best way I can describe it). Transmission shop said minimal noise from transmission and that it was fine.
*98 Cherokee
*Rebuilt 242 transfer case
*Rebuilt front diff
*Partial rebuild rear diff
*New Tom Woods SYE kit/driveshaft
*New driver side hub
*has 4" lift
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by shagster
Long story, but I will keep it short. What would cause a loud drone (sounds like it is coming from the Tcase....mostly right under driver seat) when decelerating (actually does it at all speeds, but is extremely loud when decelerating). It is most noticeable when slowing down at highway speeds. It gives off a sound like a bad bearing (best way I can describe it). Transmission shop said minimal noise from transmission and that it was fine.
*98 Cherokee
*Rebuilt 242 transfer case
*Rebuilt front diff
*Partial rebuild rear diff
*New Tom Woods SYE kit/driveshaft
*New driver side hub
*has 4" lift
Thanks in advance.
Might be worth crackin that Tcase open to see if it is time for a rebuild.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

He had the t-case rebuilt! I am questioning the partial rebuild on the rear diff. why a partial what was replaced? I would be looking at the front driveshaft, does it have the double cardon joint or a single joint?
I hope you find it man thats alot of money

oh almost forgot did they replace all the bearings in the t-case esp. the the very first one in the case right behind the trans, your describing the exact same noise I had when that bearing was toast. I hope this helps you
Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

i had a similar noise once. it would only do it bad when decelerating or accelerating.

turned out to be my motor mounts and tranny mount being bad. it would cause the d-shaft to bind a bit at the case when i hit the gas or let off.

pop your hood and have someone take it from park to rev to drive a few times and see if your engine is moving around(kind of twisting). also look at your tranny and see if its doing the same thing. if there is excessive movement i would replace your motor mounts and tranny mount.

im not saying that is your prob, just something to check. having that much work done on your jeep to only have unbearable noise is redonkulous......if its not your mounts, i would take it back to whoever did the work and have them make it right.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

What is a partial Rear dif rebuild. Rear axel or motor/ ranni mounts would be first place I would look. Next would be to make sure who-ever did your rebuild work, did it correctly. Just because you recently had something rebuilt does NOT mean that item is NOT the cause of the noise.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

x2........i was a mechanic for 5 years and most of the others i worked with would just wing it if the didnt know what they were doing. they had lots of comebacks.

Originally Posted by 93gc40
What is a partial Rear dif rebuild. Rear axel or motor/ ranni mounts would be first place I would look. Next would be to make sure who-ever did your rebuild work, did it correctly. Just because you recently had something rebuilt does NOT mean that item is NOT the cause of the noise.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Default same noise

I am getting the same noise but only in 4wd and it only when i am decelerating. Anyone have a suggestion?

thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I agree about questioning the rebuilds. My transmission/driveline mechanic said there was a lot of noise coming from the rebuilt Tcase (the T Case was sent up from Denver...how the rebuild was done I dont know) when listening with those electronic ears. He said he also got "some" noise from the rear diff. Because the noise "changes pitch when going over bumps"...he said it must be rear driveline. He also said the noise was gone after removing the rear driveshaft and just running on the front. I will have to try that myself.
My first mechanic said the rear diff was a limited slip and they replaced some bearings and other parts that looked like thin washers....said the ring/pinion was good.
Had one bad motor mount replaced....tranny mount ok.
Have less than 100 miles on Tcase and the front output seal is already leaking....go figure.
If someone is in the Ft Collins, CO area and wants to check out the noise and give their best diagnosis, let me know.....and thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

First off why the hell would you drop 2,000 and only replace one hub, and hopefully you went with Timken 513084s otherwise you may as well expect to replace (both...) in another year if you actually wheel.

Secondly, what are you driveline angles at? Have you checked ALL the ujoints? On the differential rebuilds did you pay to have the pinion/carrier bearings replaced?

If i was in this position here is what I do would, remove the front driveshaft and go for a test drive while listening to any difference.

Also try driving it in an empty parking lot or field, lock your steering wheel to the left, also to the right -- while driving in reverse listening to any noises. Do this in forward as well.

Report back here if any update.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

how bout your brakes? could be too tight and draggin? when i put disks on my 44 the howled for quite a while when going slow... my mud shield for the brakes got bent into them at a later date and howled terribly as well...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L h/o

front drive shaft out put bearing on the t case check it to see if there is play , could be worth lookin at if its already leaking after a rebiuld.........
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ianf406
how bout your brakes? could be too tight and draggin? when i put disks on my 44 the howled for quite a while when going slow... my mud shield for the brakes got bent into them at a later date and howled terribly as well...
lol? no

Originally Posted by xj101
front drive shaft out put bearing on the t case check it to see if there is play , could be worth lookin at if its already leaking after a rebiuld.........
already stated
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

have you greased the slip joint in the driveshaft lately?